• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Induction motors (1 Viewer)

Cheezy-G

Can someone help me get my head around induction motors. This is one part of the syllabus that Iam just not understanding

Thanks

Budz

HSC
I have just started this so im not sure if i can help but it works on faradays law that relative movement between a b field and a conductor causes induced current which will act to oppose the original b field, n this instance AC current is provided causing a changing b field within a free axel causing movement....
I dont think that will help but yeah..

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Well there's the phases (pairs of magnets opposite to each other in the squirrel cage and opposite in polarity to create field lines) in the AC Motor and they're all electromagnets.

And these phases (pairs of magnets) change, there's changing the magnetic flux. Now the rotor has an induced current and as Lenz's Law states the induced EMF/Current will oppose the change in magnetic flux that created it.

Therefore the eddy currents in the motor will oppose in magnetic flux that created the currents.
This causes the rotor to spin.

(in simple language, it doesn't like that change in magnetic pairs. therefore the rotor tries to return back to its normal. But since the magnetic pairs are always changing the rotor is always trying to return back there spinnning).

Hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)