• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ineffective way of studying??? HELP PLS (1 Viewer)

aarzoo

HSC
Okay
So i am the type who cannot make notes for any of my subjects.
I hate making notes. I think what's the point so I end up not making notes.
And I just study from my notebook or read through the textbook. Which is very ineffective as I don't get good results.
I make mind maps for each of my topic. But then I get lost as to what is important info and what is not.
I just do past questions read through the textbook, memories the notes given by my teacher and that's it.

So guys please give me some tips

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
have you considered using flash cards? just distill your information in a few short and sweet points and see if you can talk about them for long periods of time.

also look at using visual aids - diagrams, drawings, etc., to revise information.

audio learning - record what you need to know and listen to it like a podcast.

theses are just a few suggestions to consolidate your understanding of info, hope it helps :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You could read a page of the textbook then try to summarise that page in 5-6 sentences max?

tumtoom

HSC
You may think you can't make notes but trust me that is most likely just laziness or perhaps even just you not believing you can do them in time and properly for them to actually be beneficial

I say just do notes.
Sum up each lesson that very day and try to actually summarise it as much as possible.
I do this for my subjects which can actually have notes (all except English) and it's new for me too but it's good

Though to make sure they are actually helping I strongly suggest doing them after every lesson/or week, as that way the notes are prepared way before exams and so when studying for exams you won't have to waste time writing notes and not actually revising but as they are already done you just read over them and do prac questions/papers :)

It may not work for you but that's what I thought before this year but now that I feel like I should bother with life and school I'm realising it might really be useful (and has been already so far)

Goodluck

Last edited:

aarzoo

HSC
I have started making notes but I am so behind because I have not made for topic 1
So I have started from the beginning for each topic.
And now I feel so lost and so behind.

but guys thank for your replies and tips :)

they are actually working
so thankyou

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
well you have the holidays to catch-up.

some other things you (or one) could do

- have someone else's notes and try to reduce it as much as possible (add/remove important/irrelevant bits respectively)
- do plenty of past papers
- as someone said; use flash cards. Like write a mats formula on one side ( S = a(r^n -1)/r-1) and on the back write what it does (this formula is the sum of a gp and a= first term r= ..... and so on)
- for whatever reason you dont have time to make notes; record yourself speaking some key stuff and play it back on a phone, recorder whatever and listen to it on the bus/train

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Making some sort of individual summary of what you have learnt is important, perhaps you can try and teach the content to another person. You have to be willing to do extra work and keep an open mind to change your current study techniques since they clearly are not working for you as well as you would have liked it to. Studying techniques should be flexible and personalised, put in the hard yards and may you define your own results:) (Perhaps if you transform your attitude towards seeing the purpose of making notes-more people who made some sort of notes excelled compared to those who haven't, attitude and perceptions are very important determinants to one's result-because it directly determines one's desire to study and the extent to which they would go to pursue certain results):)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)