• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

internet keeps disconnecting? (1 Viewer)

Truly_bored

HSC
I have a problem...my internet keeps d/c?
Does anyone know why? By the way i dun't think it's got to do wif My telephone line or internet server...i just upgraded my comp to P4 wif Windows XP...adn this has neva happened to me b4 wen i had my old comp which was a P3 wif Windows ME...Do u think it's because the setting on my comp is wrong or otherwise?

Winston

HSC
Do u have call waiting turned on?, Is the modem a new modem from before?, What ISP you with?, how frequent do u get disconnected?, What do u do during online, do u continuosly surf the net or just leave it on and chat?

Truly_bored

HSC
actually is there a particular call waiting number for Optus? Yea it is a new modem from b4..it's a Swann modem...not like any other modems? u have to have CD installation...
I'm with Iprimus...i usually get d/c every 20 mins or so...if i'm lucky i stay connected for nearly an hour. i do different things...surf the net...d/l stuff and chat....and i usually get d/c wen i'm in the middle of something....
it's so frustrating...u wouldn't know how many times i've been connecting....i'm gonna be dead wen the phone bills arrive....probs more than $500

is a roflcopter
HSC
incoming calls usually kills the internet...for me anyway

yes dialup phone bills are crazy :(

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i have the same prob.. but then again im on some cheap ass ISP so i guess i shouldnt be complaining.. sometimes i'll be connected for 12 hours and then next time maybe for 2 hours then i'll get dc.. i find i get dc more easily after i've downloaded a fat file

Winston

HSC
meh ill fink, but i havent used dial up in ages, and i hated dial up technical support lol... man im quiting tech support dammit arghh lol

Huss

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
meh ill fink, but i havent used dial up in ages, and i hated dial up technical support lol... man im quiting tech support dammit arghh lol

hang in there buddy

Soliah

Sounds like the phone lines are dodgy in your area. Some old phone lines suffer severe packet/signal loss due to old age.

I suggest you call Telstra and ask them to check your lines. (Make sure they don't charge you for this >.< )

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
Aside from the phone lines or modem (which you've stated previously worked) it can only be the configuration in XP...

I remember having the same problem with Dial-up a while ago before running Windows update...

But I think it had something to do with the "Phone and Modem" options...

Sorry, its been a while.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Since it worked previously with your old computer, i'd say its your modem. Try puting in your old or different modem and see if you still have problems or before doing that, you could try updating your modem drivers if you havent already done so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)