• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Internship Questions (1 Viewer)

KaKaPooP

HSC
Got some questions about internship,

I'm currently studying Commerce/ Law (5 year degree), and I see many firms requiring you to be in the penultimate year as a prerequisite for application. Is this requirement set in stone? I would have completed my B. commerce component in 2009, and thus can I be counted as a penultimate year student? A straight comm student would be in 2nd year too in the penultimate year, so I should have similar knowledge to offer, however I understand the firms also want to recruit you after the internship if you are good, so i'm not 100% sure.

If I won't be able to apply for penultimate year positions, is there any particular firms apart from deloitte which offers programs tailored for 2nd year students?

Thanks in Advance!

danielvh

HSC
It's very difficult to get internships when you're not penultimate. I'm in my second year of economics/commerce double degree (4 years) and I didn't have all that much luck. Although, I didn't try all that hard as I'm now doing study abroad during that time period.

You can try and get work experience positions (ie unpaid). I got a few offers for that from some pretty decent companies such as economics consultancies and so on.

The reason for this is that the primary reason for internships is to recruit people from it, not for you to provide them with a service, hence they're only really looking for penultimate year students.

KaKaPooP

HSC
Oh I see, how would you approach firms to do work experience? Send them an email with your resume or ring their HR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)