• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is Dropping to Standard Maths worth it? (1 Viewer)

scarletttran

HSC
Hi everyone!

As a year 11 student averaging 50s and low 60s in Advanced maths (did 5.3 in stage 5) I’ve been considering dropping to standard. However my head of maths told me I should have dropped in term 1 (but at that point i was getting decent marks), so now I’m questioning if it’s hard to catch up?
I will either drop to standard or drop maths completely as I don’t want to be putting in all this effort in advanced just for a mark that won’t really be benefited by scaling anyway.

Neogotmyback

HSC
just drop bro it is a breeze. Just make sure you work hard in standard and get above 90, which shouldn't be too hard. Also be aware of bridging courses needed for certain uni courses.

Armon

HSC
Hi everyone!

As a year 11 student averaging 50s and low 60s in Advanced maths (did 5.3 in stage 5) I’ve been considering dropping to standard. However my head of maths told me I should have dropped in term 1 (but at that point i was getting decent marks), so now I’m questioning if it’s hard to catch up?
I will either drop to standard or drop maths completely as I don’t want to be putting in all this effort in advanced just for a mark that won’t really be benefited by scaling anyway.
Standard maths is equivalent to 5.3. You'll catch up in no time. 50s and 60s in advanced probably mean std is a good option.

wollongong warrior

HSC
Hi everyone!

If you want to go into stem, dropping to std would be doing a disservice to yourself

Mikrodd

HSC
Don't drop it. I know so many people who dropped it because they were getting similar marks and they regretted it. I think it's worth pushing through because if you are going to uni, advanced will be so much more beneficial compared to standard (like the other ppl said).

v.tex

HSC
Tbh you can always put in the hard work to do better. But if you really think your not gonna be fit for advanced math definitely drop because getting high marks in standard will be much better for ur ATAR then getting average marks in Advanced. But yeah just be aware that if you want to do something STEM related ur gonna have to do a bridging course in UNI which will be pretty annoying to do and will also probably be very hard.

academic_reaper

HSC
Drop to standard at the end of this year. Not a lot of content will be carried through for yr 12, so just catch up on what u need for yr 12 during the long break, n u should be fine.

Also, if u rlly rlly wanna drop, then drop. Otherwise, stay in adv. Btw, ppl in my adv class r sh-t fr, me n this other guy were the only ones that passed (me 75, guy 62), those that failed, failed below 38% sooo.. ur not rlly in that bad of a position, to think.

Hi everyone!

flummi

HSC
Hi everyone!

no the world will end

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)