• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it true I won't receive the HSC Mark I get? :( (1 Viewer)

Shomalika

HSC
I have been told by my teachers that if a student comes first in their school for a certain external exam, they will not receive that mark as their own if they did not come first overall in their internal assessments? Is this true?

For example, if I came 3rd in Legal Studies in my internal assessments, and I receive the top mark in the external HSC exam, the mark will go to the student who came 1st in the internals.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
This has been covered like a million times. Your teachers are either mistaken, or you (your friends/peers?) have misinterpreted what they said. The HSC mark is composed of an internal and external mark. The external mark IS your hsc mark once it has gone through the aligning process, the internal mark however is determined from your rank, the relative gaps between all the ranks and the performance of your cohort as a whole in the exam. The confusion arises because the first and last ranked people do get the highest and lowest external marks (respectively) as their internal mark.

So yes, if you top the external exam the person who came first in the internals will get your external mark as their internal mark but you will get your external mark for your internal part and they will get theirs - in that case it will likely even out and you will get similiar or the same overall hsc mark. It's a fair system 99% of the time.

Rawf

HSC
Yep. The top HSC mark will become the internal assessment mark or whatever of the student who came first.
You have 2 marks at the end - the HSC mark and your internal assessment mark.. they put it together somehow to get your ATAR. You get to keep your HSC mark, however, your internal assessment will change according to how well your cohort performed in the exam.

Shomalika

HSC
Thank you for that! I was very confused about this before, but now I feel much better about it :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thank you for that! I was very confused about this before, but now I feel much better about it :)
Don't worry. The vast majority of students don't understand the process, and to be fair, it doesn't really matter. Just do your best both in school and in the exam, and let the system work itself out.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Don't worry. The vast majority of students don't understand the process, and to be fair, it doesn't really matter. Just do your best both in school and in the exam, and let the system work itself out.
+1, it's actually a little concerning. Particularly the fact that many teachers don't undersyamd the process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)