• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is taking 5 units suicide? (1 Viewer)

westwing

HSC
hey guys, so some things just didn't work out the way that i was planning for it to work out and i had to take a first year subject in 2nd year and missed out on takin PSYC2012 (stats).
the thing is, i'm planning to major in psyc and neuroscience and i'm taking NEUR and PSYC units this coming semester.
but im just wondering if it's a good idea to take PSYC2012 along with the other two third year PSYC units.
ive had friends take 5 units and some say that theyve struggled a lot which is understandable but am i basically killing myself by doing 3 PSYC units?
how do you even enrol for 5 units since the maximum is considered to be 24 credit points?

HSC
You have to do it either at enrollment or through the faculty. Just fill in an 'ADD/REMOVE' form and they'll just tell you: You understand that you're overloading? And yeah that's it.

If you have a history of high achievement and excellent time management skills, you may have to relax some of your other commitments for that semester that you're overloading to cope with the extra work. It definitely is possible (I did 27CP in both 1st year semesters - pretty manageable but not without stress!) but its really up to you. Try alternatives before overloading - it should only be a final ultimatum.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you struggled with 24cp, don't do it but if you thought 24cp wasn't too hectic, you can try it.

You can try 30cp for a few weeks without financial penalty etc.

Rythen

HSC
Psyc2012 is necessary for completion of a psychology major, so if you do plan on doing both majors I think you're forced to overload.

EDIT: Of course, that's only if you want to complete majors this year.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
5 isn't too bad. Just keep on top of things and learn to schedule and you'll be fine.

enoilgam

HSC
It would depend on the units, but generally speaking, it is manageable with effort. I did it in my first semester and honestly it was fine.

HSC
Third year psych units are a LOT of work. Especially if you want a D average to get into honours.

Do you have a background in stats/maths? If so, it might be ok, but I wouldn't recommend it. Especially because you would end up having 5 exams and a lot of your assignments will be due at similar times.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
HA! 5 exams? I did 6 in semester 2, 1 Friday then Monday through Friday. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)