• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is year 11 pointless???? (1 Viewer)

bcook89

HSC
hey...just wondering if anyone else is completely giving up on year 11...and saving "study time" for year 12. Our marks for year 11 get wiped anyways. hmm just a thought

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
bcook89 said:
hey...just wondering if anyone else is completely giving up on year 11...and saving "study time" for year 12. Our marks for year 11 get wiped anyways. hmm just a thought
Yeah, you don't know how many of my friends actually said "ohh it's only year 11, it doesn't count, i'll begin to study once year 12 hits" And funnily enough they never do. Year 11 is great, because you can make a lot of mistakes, in which you can learn from and consequently not repeat in the HSC year. Also, it helps you get an idea of what marks you're capable of, where you're weaknesses are so you can improve on them and also motivates you to sustain the ranks/marks you've achieved throughout the year again throughout year 12.

Don't be stupid enough to waste this opportunity.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Yeah, you don't know how many of my friends actually said "ohh it's only year 11, it doesn't count, i'll begin to study once year 12 hits" And funnily enough they never do. Year 11 is great, because you can make a lot of mistakes, in which you can learn from and consequently not repeat in the HSC year. Also, it helps you get an idea of what marks you're capable of, where you're weaknesses are so you can improve on them and also motivates you to sustain the ranks/marks you've achieved throughout the year again throughout year 12.

Don't be stupid enough to waste this opportunity.
Agreed, but in the same instance don't get to stressed when you don't get the marks you want. I mean try your best and find out what study patterns work for you and how you work in stressful assessment\exam periods. Year 11 is about building a foundation not only in skills and knowledge but in study patterns use the last remaining time wisely in this 'pointless' year to find out that and give yourself the best shoot for the HSC year.

And as hopefles5ly has said many people say they are going to do better in the HSC but for a number of them it never happens, you maybe the exception but then again you may not be. Having had the advantage of hindsight many BOSers just like the SC will say that yr 11 is 'pointless' but it is as my school commonly referred it to 'the HSC with training wheels on'.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
Year 11 is a practise run.

It's an oppurtunity for you to get to know what you're up for in year 12, and get a jist of how to go about it.

Use year 11 to your advantage because nothing counts.
not:
Don't bother about year 11 because nothing counts.

You don't have room for mistakes in year 12.
Mistakes are what year 11 is for :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Yr 11 is the practice run for yr 12, you can practice study techniques, note taking and experiment during yr 11 so u dont screw up, also subjects like ext english in yr 11 mirrors the yr 12 one and you normally do old hsc modules in yr 11, so it can be extremly good practice for subs like english.

Last edited:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
SoulSearcher said:
How would you supposedly "save" study time for year 12 anyway?
I'm assuming thats a reference to not "burning out" before yr 12.

so not exactly 'time' thats being saved...

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
My suggestion -> don't throw away Year 11 completely but don't get caought up with the studying and all that shit. Although the HSC is Year 12 work, Year 11 obviously gives you the fundamental stuff for the Year 12 course (especially Maths - Year 11 is tested in that HSC exam). But I studied heaps and unfortunately I peaked too early. My marks have been sliding since. So study, but not too hard...

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Yeah i've made heeeeaps of mistakes this year, and I now know where I won't make those same mistakes for next year. I also know how to answer questions proparly in exams, and I now know that leaving assignments to the last minute just stuffs you up lol. Also, I've experimented with a range of different types of folders to keep my notes in at school (exercise books ain't for me :D) and I've decided that i'm going to stick with the simple ring binded folders :D
So yeah, year 11 is pretty important, I wouldn't save "study time" for year 12.

BrendanP

HSC
let me answer that question with another...

is masturbation pointless????

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
airie said:
If Year 11 seems so pointless to you, be smart and skip a grade :rolleyes:
And yet I don't think that she would have the ability to skip a grade :p
f3nr15 said:
Exactly, go try out acceleration courses, like kid.@dmin with IPT ...
It would be pretty difficult to accelerate the entire preliminary and HSC course in one year for a subject, but it's doable, I know of a few people who have done that and done well :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)