• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Journalism degree (1 Viewer)

Homey

Homey
HSC
N/A
Hey, does Macquarie University have a Journalism degree?? My freind is interested and is currently doing Media and Cultural studies...he wants to know if there is anything close to a journalism degree.

Phanatic

HSC
Yep, it's a B Media in Writing. It involves two specific writing units a year in second and third year.

X

xeuyrawp

Homey --

Have a look here for the specifics.

From the look of it, a student would do MAS104 and CUL100 in first year, as well as some electives I suppose. Have a look at the specific units (by clicking on them) to have a look what they're about.

[edit: Yep, asylum's right, you don't do 210 and 211 in first year.]

But yeah, so you've got all those required subjects as well as 35 credit points worth of electives; which is about 10 or so subjects. Not to mention that, near the end of your degree, you've got these random MAS3xx subjects to do -- I've looked through a few of them, and they look fun.

Personally, if I were to do journalism, I'd do the BA (Communications) degree at UTS; I just like their share of practical units... I think the Macquarie ones look more theory based, not to mention the fact that you're not actually doing 'journalism'. Then again, journalism is more of a generic skill, and I think any degree really equips you for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Err, you do MAS104, CUL100 first year, first sem. MAS105, second sem.

Then do the 200 units, can't do MAS210 as MAS203 is a co-req and it has a 6cp @ pass 100 level req.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Then do the 200 units, can't do MAS210 as MAS203 is a co-req and it has a 6cp @ pass 100 level req.
I love the handbook, if x is y's coreq, why don't they put the prereqs of y in x's box. It's so confuzzling sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)