• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Leaving calculations as fractions in working out ugly mole calculations? (1 Viewer)

science

HSC
Hey guys, just a quick question
With some mole calculations- titrations, combustion etc. Often the halfway point (such as calculating moles of one product which you use to find number of moles of a reactant) is a super ugly number- which comes out on the calculator nicely as a tidy fraction. Is it acceptable to leave this number which isnt your final answer, but is used later in calculations, as a fraction? Eg. Trying to find mass of glucose used in fermentation, just calculated number of moles of CO2 in fermentation reaction as 115/2479, which comes out as 0.04638967326. Obviously the former is quicker to write, can i just write that?

Obviously for my final answer i would never have a fraction

Cheers

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
If it's in the working out, I guess yeah.
But final answer, always right dec places.

Usually if you are not sure how many places to put it to, make it 4 sig figs.

HSC
Yeah using fractions in the working out is fine, however your final answer must be of the form they give you. For example if it is decimals, then it must be in decimals. Also your final answer must mimic the number of significant numbers given in the question. For some reason markers are very pedantic about significant numbers.

science

HSC
Thanks guys, of course leaving sig figs in final answer etc.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)