• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Lecture Days (1 Viewer)

scorpiochic

HSC
Hey Everyone! Has anyone been to any of the lecture days put on by the universities in Sydney for the HSC and if so have you found them beneficial? And for which subjects by which uni? Sorry its so many questions but i'm trying to make up my mind as to which, if any, to do to!! Thanks!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
DON'T GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T GO!!!!

Unless it's a school event where you can skip a day of school. Seriously it was utterly useless. If it was free you might consider it, but you have to pay like $30 which is not even close to being worth it.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
how about those enrichment ones held mid year?

J0n

N/A
HSC
Oh, i went to one of those enrichment days last year for SDD - they give you tips on the HSC, like what could be in it (judging from previous years), and i learnt quite a few new things since i was in yr 11, and i hadn't covered much of what was being talked about.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
hey i went there too last year.
i think it would be the same this year
i'll check out the speakers
remember the dude who breathed so heavy lol he was funny!!
Some other lecturer who had a mad powerpoint presentation?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I went to the SDD one and I sneaked into the Physics one.

The SDD was like a comedy session at one of the times.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
dude with the funny powerpoint?
ahaha
with all those literal commercials and stuff

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yeah that's the one. The dude with the super long hair who looked like a hippy.

He was pretty funny but I learnt JACK ALL from him :D

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
i've been to a couple at usyd. when i went to the english one it was incredibly pointless and boring but the IPT one was pretty helpful. they gave out good notes. i don't think you can get as much out of english ones where it's very general and they don't talk at all about the texts you're studying...

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
They provide you with some helpful info, but the day is long and quite boring

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the sydney uni one is on the 5th or 6th of march and it says that they will talk about all the texts. or do u guys just mean that it'lll be very brief on each text? im actualy thinking of going...38 bucks and a day off school...sounds ok to me but i've only been to the ETA one at darling harbour and never to any usyd ones...does anyone think the usyd one is usefull in ANY way cos they make it sound very informative (whether that is just crap or not, i dont know)

santaslayer

HSC
lec days r boring.......dont even bother.......i was forced to go to the law and eco one......played cards with sum friends instead at the back........lol

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I went to an Extension History lecture day on the 4th of June last year.. While the lectures on Postmodernism and 'Gendered History' were interesting and useful, it was this day which introduced me to the one known as Keith Windschuttle. The only benefits of this were being made aware of his work (Which I have read, to give an actual basis for my judgements) and being able to win a moral victory in a brief debate with him, (This was after question-time, in which much of the audience were quite outraged at his claims, and justifiably so) criticising him for his seeming ignorance of changing contexts, hypocrisy, and flawed methodology..

It just seems all too coincedental that virtually every piece of evidence viewed as 'truthful' in The Fabrication and his lecture were those supporting his own viewpoint. For a supposedly 'objective' historian, it would have supported his case to incorporate contradictory evidence rather than just dismissing it. [I'm not exaggerating here..]

Ended up leaving early to go book-shopping, thereby missing the last lecture. Got a 28 page booklet of various notes, plus the summaries of the first two lectures made by our teacher. To those doing Extension, I'd say its worth attending. Just beware of Keith. ;) (My own contextually derived inherently subjective value judgement.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)