• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Lyotard (1 Viewer)

d_a_n_z

HSC
Dont we love Lyotard...actually im not so sure if i do, but if someone wants to convince me why i should love him...then i'll love you... ;-)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Quoting him helps you to get full marks. That's why :p.

d_a_n_z

HSC
"Father of pomo"

Okay - so Lyotard was a big influence on pomo, the "father of pomo thought"
BUT WHO SPECIFICALLY DID HE INFLEUNCE????A

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Ju

HSC
I've heard about people using Lyotard in Retreat from the Global... are there any specific texts of his that people are using? Does anybody know of good links? I'm having trouble grasping how to use theorists in RFTG, are they counted as supplementary material or something?

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
He had some ideas similar to freuds on psycho analysis. I think he's a wanker.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
Also heres something that was in the postmodernism thread:
5) Lyotard Worked on ideas of cultural myths. Proposed that nothing is true, and that the things we believe to be true are transient myths that will pass in time.

HSC
N/A
^^^ throw in stuff about culturally constructed discourse, as well. ;)

*doesn't like the way EE1 crams fancy words down your throat and asks you to regurgitate them in essays, but almost completely skips the explaining part*

Ju

HSC
Hah. Glad I am not the only one to think that. If I approach the theorist stuff like I would in history extension, is that a good idea? (Q for history students!) It seems that between discussing two core texts, two related texts, linking them and making 'philosophical' statements of my own that there is precious little room to be using Fukuyama and co as well...

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
two words: grand narratives. these are the concepts that people hold as truth.

Basically Lyotard challenged these and said that grand narratives dont exist - truth is unfixed, and changes with social, cultural and historical context.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
I'm using Lyotard (The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge) and Fukuyama (The End of History and the Last Man) as supplementary RFTG theorists, and was just wondering exactly what techniques they use? I've heard you get marked down substantially if you don't mention techniques, and I don't wanna write something stupid like "academic language"...

Any ideas?

bonniejjj

HSC
Ju said:
If I approach the theorist stuff like I would in history extension, is that a good idea? (Q for history students!)
DO NOT do this... my ext history teacher explicitly warned against this (I am the only one in my ext history class doing ext english, postmodernism.) Apparently the marking centre commented that a lot of people use literary terms inappropriately in extension history exam essays. So I know this is the other way around, but it applys vice-versa... Thats not to say you can't draw knowledge from each subject for the other, its just you need to be careful to use terms appropriately, (eg don't use the word "context" in ext history) and make sure ur approach to postmodernism in each subject is different. I hope this answered ur question.. if not, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)