• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Macquarie or a city university i.e. UTS, Usyd, UNSW for arts/ law? (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I put in my preferences, though will likely change them.
My question was that, do employers judge students from the university they study at. For example I am a humanities inclined student , but would like to combine a degree with something a bit practical like Law. however, obviously ATAR cut-offs are extremely high for Usyd and UNSW. while these universities are prestigious for these degrees it will mean a lot of travelling time and also extremely competitive, smart kids. Also, while I think Usyd is a great uni, its not perfect and there are also flaws like food prices, organisation of faculties, exchange programs.

I was really considering Macquarie as the ATAR is slightly more achievable 96 ish and it is only a 20 minute bus ride from home as opposed to Sydney/ UTS which can be from an hour to hour and half depending on traffic etc.
I'm being realistic and am doubtful I'd receive an ATAR 99+, but some people are saying that I should pursue a more reputable university and well known university such as Sydney or UNSW rather than Macquarie. But do employees care?
Because, obviously employees will know that students who study law at usyd or UNSW are at the top of the crop of students as the ATAR requirements are so high enhancing the academic repetoire of the university.
Whereas Macquarie is is not so well known and further away from the city. Also was wondering if going to UTS is worth it?

I really dislike the campus and the lack of social life as well as the fact that it does not offer flexible arts degrees like more traditional, theory based unis but I've heard it offers really good practical experience and skills that will enhance your opportunities of finding a job which is the only reason I am considering it, as I think job prospects at the end of the day is the most important.
Thanks

Silly Sausage

HSC
I put in my preferences, though will likely change them.
My question was that, do employers judge students from the university they study at. For example I am a humanities inclined student , but would like to combine a degree with something a bit practical like Law. however, obviously ATAR cut-offs are extremely high for Usyd and UNSW. while these universities are prestigious for these degrees it will mean a lot of travelling time and also extremely competitive, smart kids. Also, while I think Usyd is a great uni, its not perfect and there are also flaws like food prices, organisation of faculties, exchange programs.

I was really considering Macquarie as the ATAR is slightly more achievable 96 ish and it is only a 20 minute bus ride from home as opposed to Sydney/ UTS which can be from an hour to hour and half depending on traffic etc.
I'm being realistic and am doubtful I'd receive an ATAR 99+, but some people are saying that I should pursue a more reputable university and well known university such as Sydney or UNSW rather than Macquarie. But do employees care?
Because, obviously employees will know that students who study law at usyd or UNSW are at the top of the crop of students as the ATAR requirements are so high enhancing the academic repetoire of the university.
Whereas Macquarie is is not so well known and further away from the city. Also was wondering if going to UTS is worth it?

I really dislike the campus and the lack of social life as well as the fact that it does not offer flexible arts degrees like more traditional, theory based unis but I've heard it offers really good practical experience and skills that will enhance your opportunities of finding a job which is the only reason I am considering it, as I think job prospects at the end of the day is the most important.
Thanks
lol

Silly Sausage

HSC
tbh MQ>UTS for your case since their arts/law about equal tier in that department but MQ is alot closer.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are doing straight Arts then go to USYD.

What would you like to do as a job in the foreseeable future?

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
If you are doing straight Arts then go to USYD.

What would you like to do as a job in the foreseeable future?
I cannot be sure and I will most likely change. But, at this point I was thinking of perhaps a policy advisor/ analyst, communication/ writing, working for intelligence or security or foreign affairs/ trade.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I cannot be sure and I will most likely change. But, at this point I was thinking of perhaps a policy advisor/ analyst, communication/ writing, working for intelligence or security or foreign affairs/ trade.
you pretty much need a law degree for most of those jobs. DFAT is a super competitive gig to get into.

also not smart to tell anyone your interests in working for an intel agency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)