• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Major Software Assignment Error traping (1 Viewer)

hr

Hi all,

Umm i am currently doing my major assignment, which is a maths program. Anyway ive basically finished the assignment and ive just realised i dont know anything about how to trap errors and such. For instance the user enters a letter instead of a number into a field for the radius for a circle and the program dies. The program is in visual basic 6 and the error code is 13 if that helps. Can anyone help or give me a site that will help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Use the IsNumeric function to check that the input is numeric.

hornetfig

HSC
and copeous On Error Goto or On Error Resume Next statements will ensure even if there is a data error, the program doesn't fall over and dump you back to the IDE in the middle of your presentation...

Winston

HSC
If you're doing this in java or .NET you can make use of the Try Catch statements. However if you're in VB6 as hornetfig mentioned an On Error Goto is the method of exception handling, btw error trapping in programming terms is called "Exception Handling" there's generally two forms of exceptions, you can catch an exception or throw an exception.

for VB6

for example this code

On Error GoTo divideByErrorHandler

txtBox.text = 1/0

Exit Sub

divideByErrorHandler:

MsgBox "A divide by zero error has occured, please input a correct denominator other than zero.",vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "Division Error"

If you want to read more about it check this out:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...vbcn7/html/vaconerrorhandlingusingonerror.asp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)