• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mining engineering Double degree beneficial? (1 Viewer)

Pkes4eva

HSC
I was wondering the benefits of doing a combined Mining engineering/Commerce degree as opposed to doing just a single Mining engineering degree.Will it differentiate me from other graduates or is there no point due to the high demand for skilled labour in this sector?.. Will it make it easier for me to attain a management position within the industry?

Maverick27

HSC
Hi I'm 1st yr mining engo/commerce

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1756142

Heres ^^^a thread that talks about it.

Mining Commerce is a good double cause i think that they can assist each other in ways (mainly the mine planning and mine economics part of the mining engo degree which is kinda small)

I have 3 friends also doing the double they all believe its good because it will help them move into a managerial position once they have graduated or a consultancy positions. But when you graduate you most probably wont use your commerce degree until later mainly because companies want mining engineers not commerce students.

I spose it helps you gain a greater understanding of how the business works and how mining is connected to the world economy. As for getting management no not really because they want people with experience, if a company you work for wants you to be a manager they will pay for you to do an MBA part time effectively making ur commerce degree useless.

I suppose it differentials you but its not something that companies are gonna care that much about because all they are interested in is in employing mining engineers

But there are a few cons in that all of your friends who do mining will graduate before you and get jobs before you.

However I still do it havnt done any commerce subjects yet. It is easier to get into the double through HSC than getting high marks at uni because its just a massive effort at uni to have really high marks. and you can always drop stuff when you are doing the double.

But im more interested in doing it because of the opportunities it offers like more exchange stuff and doing languages if you major in certain stuff.

r1ckyla

HSC
I am thinking about doing a mining engo/ comm degree as well but i have such a big dilemma on 3 problems
1. I dropped physics after Year 11 and didn't do any sciences (I did ext 2 maths tho) so i dont know the difficult of uni exams and if i can do well or not
2. I was geared towards a commerce degree and only recently got some interest into engineering so i don't know what its like
3. Studying for 5.5 years, what type of job prospects are there

Appreciate some help in deciding =]

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
@r1ckyla

if you did ext 2 maths you'll be fine with engineering/first year physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)