• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mining engineering or actuary (1 Viewer)

lidess23

HSC
Both have good pay, so money shouldn’t be a factor when choosing.

But I’m also interested in both. I enjoy maths and perform well in it so actuarial studies appeals to me, although it’s mostly focused on probability and stats which I don’t like. Also I’ve heard it can be boring, which doesn’t surprise me given what actuaries do. Also, without coop getting a job as an actuary can be difficult initially (someone correct me if I’m wrong). However actuary does pay well and can be a stable career with low stress and clear career progression. Also working with different companies can be interesting and you can learn about different industries.

Mining engineering seems more interesting and diverse to me. You can go into many things from mining, including finance and banking which I find mind blowing. Getting a job I was told on open day isn’t too difficult due to the shortage of mining engineers which can be less stressful later on. Internships aren’t too hard to get either. However, mining engineers have to do lots of FIFO work which is tough and can impact personal life and relationships. Although I wouldn’t mind doing it as a young person with no commitments (I was told by an engineer at open day that most do FIFO early on before moving to an office job, where mine visits are less frequent).

Superficial factors incoming: actuaries have more prestige than mining engineers, based on what I’ve seen. I care to a minimal extent about this (it doesn’t matter what you do if you make money lol) but my parents care. They’re supportive of either choice but ik deep down they care about prestige.

Btw I’m in year 12 and confident I can get 98+, so getting into both should be fine hopefully. I’m skewed towards mining rn but that can change.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)