• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Money/Prestige or PASSION? Uni Course Selection! (1 Viewer)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Hi people

I have noticed that many people who go to uni are deciding upon their courses such as doing B commerce for MONEY or B Commerce/ B Law for PRESTIGE....while they dont even know what the HELL commerce is........

In my view even if you have a UAI of 99 you must do the course you are PASSIONATE about! even if the cut off for that course is 85!

What do you think? huh? :confused: :confused: :confused:

is a roflcopter
HSC
money and prestige are legitimate reasons to choosing a course

Huy

HSC
N/A
I know a friend who got 99.5+
He's doing a 94 cut-off course. Good for him!

I'd do it for the passion and genuine interest, but you can't forget about the money, no matter how good a person you are, it'll always be at the back of your mind.

As for prestige, I don't really think about those things, I'd rather be humble and passionate about my work than to be 'living it up' and having people talk about me negatively (if at all). :)

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
ok, money is important...but i know this person, who is thinking about LAW and commerce, even though they dont seem to have an interest in Commerce....and they want to do LAW because its LAW..!

so yeah..some people just do it to showoff..well yeah i know this person who does..immature isnt it?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
One of my friends got a UAI of 98 and wants to do teaching. Everyone is giving him so much shit about how he's throwing his future away, but I think it's fabulous. (Although I do wonder why he bothered studying so much, lol.)
You should definately do what you want to do and feel passionate about...if what you feel passionate about happens to be money or prestige, then meh-good for you.

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
i got late 94s...i wanted to do teaching as well, but now i have decided on commerce, b'cos i enjoyed businesss studies at school.

Winston

HSC
my sister had a friend who got 99.95 and she went to do teaching lol.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
my sister had a friend who got 99.95 and she went to do teaching lol.
I guess people who do well in school just have a passion for education!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I guess people who do well in school just have a passion for education!
Exactly, i think pay or reputation for your occupation is a load of shit, sure it does look good and feel good, but if you struggle to enjoy your own work, then it all sucks.

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
Exactly, i think pay or reputation for your occupation is a load of shit, sure it does look good and feel good, but if you struggle to enjoy your own work, then it all sucks.
Yeah, so a good decision is crucial, so that you don't regret, well yeah there are still ways of transferring and stuff, if u don't like once course.

Huy

HSC
N/A
I was considering Teaching too... to better the future students, giving them what I never had (well, not exactly, but giving them more of a chance in life).

I think I'd make a great teacher, but I don't know what my family'll think, LOL -- so I might just go with the science/engineering thing.

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
I was considering Teaching too... to better the future students, giving them what I never had (well, not exactly, but giving them more of a chance in life).

yeah same here, b'cos I went to A VERY CRAP school, so I thought I might become a good teacher and never do what my teachers did!

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
one of my friends got a uai of around 93 and she doesnt even need a uai... she was accepted into billy blue graphic arts school even before the hsc exams yet she still tried and studied and worked... we were all like why whats the point... but she did it for herself and is happy because she achieved something for her own satisfaction

holl

I think you have to do what you like. I was looking though my uac book and looking at all the courses i could do cause i got the uai for it but decided to stick with what i like cause i dont see the point in doing a course only because you got the marks for it.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I always wonder what the popularity for courses like Law would be like if they added a heap of new places and the UAI dropped right down...

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I always wonder what the popularity for courses like Law would be like if they added a heap of new places and the UAI dropped right down...
many people do it for prestige...i dont see a point if u do not have the NATRUAL INTEREST for something!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
my friend got 99+ and is doing agriculture, with a cut off in the low 70's. I think thats great, good on her. (she topped the state in agriculture last year by the way)
And there is still a reason to work hard even if you only need a low UAI - SCHOLARSHIPS!!!!!!

MilfordSound

i think i would have to choose something i like, but i wouldnt take up a career that meant i had to eat dog food to survive

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
yeh, it's pretty sad to see some people choose courses just because of the money/prestige, or because 'they can' (eg do UNSW law, just because they got over 99.3).

Remember, the job you get after it all, will take usually at least 8 hours a day, for 5 days of your week (and a lot more hours than that if you are a typical doctor/lawyer) - that's a lot of work to be doing for say 30 or so years! Of course people move around, but in terms of occupations from uni degrees, your profession would most likely remain the same.

and of course, it's pretty sad if you did say commerce/med/law just cos you know it's a high earner :(

i also want to see more people choosing what they have a passion for, cos in courses like med and law, there is quite a drop out rate (it should be 5% or lower, but it's actually higher!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)