• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Not getting marks back for one assessment. (1 Viewer)

danielKe

HSC
Has anyone ever heard of not getting your marks back for one assessment? Apparently it's board protocol.

Also, are class tasks and marks really that significant? Because I do fairly bad in these, but pretty good in assessments. Teachers say they go to reports and stuff. Have an affect on ATAR? Or just assessments?

Thank you.

Aysce

HSC
As you know, your ATAR is made of 50% internal and 50% external assessments. As long as you RANK well in internal assessments, you are fine as long as you reman consistently up there. If you are in selective, ranking doesn't really matter too much as you will probably be brought up. If yo have a crap rank, you will get dragged down and hence receive a lower mark. Therefore, yes assessments do have a SIGNIFICANT effect upon ATAR.

danielKe

HSC
Okay, thank you. But I was referring to class marks, like marks for little shitty tasks in class such as group presentations and posters and stuff. They say these marks make up part of our final mark and go on our report. I was wondering whether they affect our ATAR. I am aware that assessment marks are 50% of our HSC.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Class marks that can be on reports but aren't actually specified assessment tasks don't count towards your final HSC or ATAR.

As for it being 'board protocol' to withhold an assessment task mark - sorry definitely a no-no. You should receive all your marks for assessment tasks back in a timely fashion with marks and ranks, at least within that task while cumulative ranks are a bit more at the school's discretion.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Class marks that can be on reports but aren't actually specified assessment tasks don't count towards your final HSC or ATAR.

As for it being 'board protocol' to withhold an assessment task mark - sorry definitely a no-no. You should receive all your marks for assessment tasks back in a timely fashion with marks and ranks, at least within that task attached.
This, some schools try to bamboozle students by not giving them their marks or ranks by saying its against regulations.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's more likely to be a stupid rule made up at your school - you're supposed to receive all marks but I think ranks are optional.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I think in some subjects having to know your ranks in this time of the year is not really necessary as one has not done enough assessments (depending) to see the progress made by all students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)