• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Oh dear...:( (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
As some of you might (or probably not) remember, I made a thread a while ago about special provisions if you were sick during an exam period, and I elected not to make use of those provisions because I didn't want another (harder) exam. Except now it has bitten me on the rear and I got an F in FRN122, even worse is the fact that I can only choose certain units because I'm doing a CertLang and FRN122 is a prereq of a prereq etc. So I figure I have three options:

*Defer the Cert
*Quit the Cert
*Ask for a waiver from the faculty and throw myself at the next unit

Thing is, I'm not sure which is really the best course of action nor am I sure how I would go about doing any of these. So would anyone be able to shed some light on this? I would be ever so grateful...

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
you are in a similar position as i am. =/

why cant you do a grade appeal? (aka third point)

doesnt hurt to try

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
sukiyaki said:
you are in a similar position as i am. =/

why cant you do a grade appeal? (aka third point)

doesnt hurt to try
Are grade appeals hard to get? Do I just go to the faculty and ask for one? And *hugs* for sukiyakis similar position.:(

Sweet_Lemon said:
is FRN122 very hard???
Not really, its usually quite enjoyable and social(you speak to your partner/group in french etc.) but you need to keep up with it. Do the grammar exercises as often as you can because you really can't cram french. One issue I did find, was that the exam was worth alot and because everyone performs well in the assessments...it basically means the exam is what separates you.

X

xeuyrawp

Hmm, you're going to need a D next semester if you want to transfer into a DipLang or a BA. And then, your GPA will only be 2, so transferring further mightn't be an option.

I have no idea how you do a grade appeal... From memory, it's easier to get the unit wiped due to unforseen circumstance, than for a mark to be altered - but I'm about 10% sure of that. If you got the unit wiped, you'd obviously need a waiver, which aren't really hard to get. I'd speak with your convener and see what she recommends.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Hmm, you're going to need a D next semester if you want to transfer into a DipLang or a BA. And then, your GPA will only be 2, so transferring further mightn't be an option.
I'm surprised you remember about the transfer thing, but I don't know if I really want to continue doing french to 300 level so its a bit of a non issue I guess.

Pwaryuex said:
I have no idea how you do a grade appeal... From memory, it's easier to get the unit wiped due to unforseen circumstance, than for a mark to be altered - but I'm about 10% sure of that. If you got the unit wiped, you'd obviously need a waiver, which aren't really hard to get. I'd speak with your convener and see what she recommends.
Do you know how the unit wiping mechanism works/where I can look to find out?

And thank you Rob.
Sweet_Lemon said:
thx kami~
I will definitely enrol for it next yr.
You're welcome.:)

Sukiyaki said:
aww thanks

appeal against grades.
http://www.deanofstudents.mq.edu.au/grades.htm

extra reading (like what not is acceptable for an appeal)
http://www.efs.mq.edu.au/student_sup...ript_ viewing
Thank you Sukiyaki.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

kami said:
Do you know how the unit wiping mechanism works/where I can look to find out?
I hope I'm not confusing wiping out of HECS debt with transcript debt... Anyhoo, contact SES for the details, I'm sure it's going to be a lenthy process.

Today I woke up and saw that I was booted out of a unit and couldn't re-enroll. I noticed that e-student believed I was a BA;HUM student all of a sudden (no idea if it always thought that). I rang up SES to ask what happened, and the lady said that I was a BA student. I told her that the BAncHist(Hons) degree was my first UAC preference and that I got it. She told me that I was, infact a BA student... [Back and foward- 'I'm in the ancient history degree.' 'No you're not.' 'Yes I am.' 'Are not.' 'Am too.' 'Not.' 'Too.' 'Not.', etc]...

The law waiver probably turned into a law transfer, after estudent realised I'd passed law. It probably put me into the BA/LLB program, except for the fact that I'd dropped law.

Anyway, I basically came to the conclusion that rather than arguing with her, it would be easier to transfer back into my ancient history degree. /tangent story

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I hope I'm not confusing wiping out of HECS debt with transcript debt... Anyhoo, contact SES for the details, I'm sure it's going to be a lenthy process.

Today I woke up and saw that I was booted out of a unit and couldn't re-enroll. I noticed that e-student believed I was a BA;HUM student all of a sudden (no idea if it always thought that). I rang up SES to ask what happened, and the lady said that I was a BA student. I told her that the BAncHist(Hons) degree was my first UAC preference and that I got it. She told me that I was, infact a BA student... [Back and foward- 'I'm in the ancient history degree.' 'No you're not.' 'Yes I am.' 'Are not.' 'Am too.' 'Not.' 'Too.' 'Not.', etc]...

The law waiver probably turned into a law transfer, after estudent realised I'd passed law. It probably put me into the BA/LLB program, except for the fact that I'd dropped law.

Anyway, I basically came to the conclusion that rather than arguing with her, it would be easier to transfer back into my ancient history degree. /tangent story
Thats crazy. But I guess there's no BAncientHistory/LLB.

Technically it shouldn't automatically turn into a law transfer...just because you pass the units should not mean the system assumes you want to transfer into an LLB. It didn't for me, and I ended up applying for a transfer in the second semester of second year law.

X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
Thats crazy. But I guess there's no BAncientHistory/LLB.

Technically it shouldn't automatically turn into a law transfer...just because you pass the units should not mean the system assumes you want to transfer into an LLB. It didn't for me, and I ended up applying for a transfer in the second semester of second year law.
I really have no idea what happened. If it automatically transferred, you think it would have kept LAW104 as well, but it didn't. Clearly something screwed up... As per Mike's advice, I'm going to talk to the deputy dean (whom I know) and make sure everything's ok.

My current marks are still in the system, so it's not as if I've 'lost' anything. But still.

Is it just me, or are some SES people mindless robots? It's as if I was talking to estudent itself.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
PwarYuex said:
It's as if I was talking to estudent itself.
:lol:

It's not just SES people, I feel like a ping pong ball at the moment, i just have a couple of small questions and i am going backwards and forwards not getting anything answered.

and wtf maybe someone else asked for a transfer and they did you by accident, or you've always been enrolled in arts (but i think that would only have happened if you had an arts offer in the beginning in the second round offer)

kami said:
As some of you might (or probably not) remember, I made a thread a while ago about special provisions if you were sick during an exam period, and I elected not to make use of those provisions because I didn't want another (harder) exam. Except now it has bitten me on the rear and I got an F in FRN122, even worse is the fact that I can only choose certain units because I'm doing a CertLang and FRN122 is a prereq of a prereq etc. So I figure I have three options:

*Defer the Cert
*Quit the Cert
*Ask for a waiver from the faculty and throw myself at the next unit

Thing is, I'm not sure which is really the best course of action nor am I sure how I would go about doing any of these. So would anyone be able to shed some light on this? I would be ever so grateful...
Definitely ask for a waiver, or appeal the grade. There is nothing to lose by trying, and there is no reason to give yourself the other options before you have tried. This is uni, we all know that uni has not only front but back doors. If you really want to do it, don't put the option to quit there. And don't decide to defer until you have at least tried to stay.

HSC
N/A
All this aside, have you considered repeating the course?

Quite a number of BCA people I know have had to repeat one of our harder core units (ARTS105) because they failed. So, they just did it again, tried harder, and passed :)

If repeating courses is not an option in this situation, please disregard this post... *makes shooing motions*

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:

Quite a number of BCA people I know have had to repeat one of our harder core units (ARTS105) because they failed. So, they just did it again, tried harder, and passed :)

If repeating courses is not an option in this situation, please disregard this post... *makes shooing motions*
At least you now have ARTS105 now, which is like watered down accounting. Before that some BCA students had to attempt ACCG105 for a 3rd or 4th time...leaving them on the verge of going Columbine.

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
It was actually quite a spiritual experience. Usually I get really angry and start yelling at people, but for some reason there was total calm in the land of Rob.

HSC
N/A
GoodToGo said:
At least you now have ARTS105 now, which is like watered down accounting. Before that some BCA students had to attempt ACCG105 for a 3rd or 4th time...leaving them on the verge of going Columbine.
Ouch :/

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
glitterfairy said:

I think that was the option of 'defer,' since the same french course will only be available first semester next year, and he needs that course to get into other subjects, and in a certificate they only do 12cp = 4 subjects. but yeah i think that's a good option. and when i think about it more, if you're only doing 1 subject per semester kami, deferring for a semester is no big deal. otherwise are there any subjects you would like to do next semester that it's not a prereq for?

PwarYuex said:
It was actually quite a spiritual experience. Usually I get really angry and start yelling at people, but for some reason there was total calm in the land of Rob.
haha. in that case i have been having un-spiritual experiences, because i stay pretty calm over these meaningless things, but being treated like a ping pong made me a little outwardly mad yesterday (ok it was directed to an email, but still..)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Anyhoo, contact SES for the details, I'm sure it's going to be a lenthy process.
Will do.
iambored said:
Definitely ask for a waiver, or appeal the grade. There is nothing to lose by trying, and there is no reason to give yourself the other options before you have tried. This is uni, we all know that uni has not only front but back doors. If you really want to do it, don't put the option to quit there. And don't decide to defer until you have at least tried to stay
Thats true, there is always another way into things and I should probably try them out before giving up completely.
iambored said:
but yeah i think that's a good option. and when i think about it more, if you're only doing 1 subject per semester kami, deferring for a semester is no big deal. otherwise are there any subjects you would like to do next semester that it's not a prereq for?
There are lots of subjects that I'd love to do at MQ...unfortunately the only one at this time I'm permitted to be enrolled in is FRN123 which has FRN122 as a prereq.:\

I don't know how the whole deferring thing works though, the other thing that concerns me is most deferrals have it set in stone that you aren't allowed to undergo tertiary study during that period and I'm doing a course at UTS so I don't know what the go with that is...:(

glitterfairy said:
I'm afraid I can't do that, at least not this year.:(

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I thought I might as well post the final decision on this matter - I've decided to defer the Certificate. However SES doesn't seem to be of any help at all regarding my queries on the matter, which is irritating to say the least. Also, thanks to everyone who replied.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)