• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

only want to be friends (1 Viewer)

falling out

HSC
so heres my dilemma...i met this guy and we went on a date. he is a really nice guy but im not physically attracted to him. i think he may want a relationship but i dont want a bf/gf relationship with him, only friends. i dont want to hurt his feelings, so i want to know how do u tell someone u only want to be friends with them?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Just tell him that. You cant reject/break up(unless you both agree)/"just want to be friends" with someone without hurting his feelings. He should just get over it

HSC
N/A
I want to be single at this stage of my life etc etc

or

You look/act/sound too much like my brother/unlce/cousin/dad :s

:)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
"I'm not looking for a relationship right now".
if you havent noticed, they WENT OUT ON A DATE and its even worse shen she goes out with someone else and he finds out

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Tell him straight up, don't waste his time.

"I had a good time, I can see that we'll be good friends."

If it gets too intense, be more and more straightforward.

"I don't like you like that. Do not pass go, do not collect $200."

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
z600 said:
if you havent noticed, they WENT OUT ON A DATE and its even worse shen she goes out with someone else and he finds out
And if you haven't noticed, nowhere has the thread-starter mentioned a third person (ie someone she is attracted to). She's asking how to turn someone down nicely because she's not interested in a relationship, not how to turn someone down because she's pursuing someone else. Besides, one date does not make a relationsip; I know plenty of people who have gone out on one date and decided it wasn't going to work.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
And if you haven't noticed, nowhere has the thread-starter mentioned a third person (ie someone she is attracted to). She's asking how to turn someone down nicely because she's not interested in a relationship, not how to turn someone down because she's pursuing someone else. Besides, one date does not make a relationsip; I know plenty of people who have gone out on one date and decided it wasn't going to work.
Why would you lie your way out, once he finds out its just a bigger dissapointment. I didnt say one date makes a relationship, i am saying there is an obvious contradiction when you just went on a date with them and say you wasnt looking for a relationship (not just applying to the guy). You tell him "I am not interested"

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
z600 said:
Why would you lie your way out, once he finds out its just a bigger dissapointment. I didnt say one date makes a relationship, i am saying there is an obvious contradiction when you just went on a date with them and say you wasnt looking for a relationship (not just applying to the guy). You tell him "I am not interested"
It's a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
just use all the "friend" vocab:

"mate"
"like a brother"
"good friends"
"yeah man"

constantly.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
just use all the "friend" vocab:

"mate"
"like a brother"
"good friends"
"yeah man"

constantly.
Best advise in this thread so far.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
Tell him straight up, don't waste his time.

"I had a good time, I can see that we'll be good friends."

If it gets too intense, be more and more straightforward.

"I don't like you like that. Do not pass go, do not collect $200."
For the win.

Alternatively, just tell him how much you love the carpet

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
falling out said:
so heres my dilemma...i met this guy and we went on a date. he is a really nice guy but im not physically attracted to him. i think he may want a relationship but i dont want a bf/gf relationship with him, only friends. i dont want to hurt his feelings, so i want to know how do u tell someone u only want to be friends with them?
Do you genuinely want to be friends, or do you just not want to be in a relationship with him? come now be honnest. Because if i got this
"I had a good time, I can see that we'll be good friends." from you, what i would say would go like this:

Yes, i also enjoyed your company but the thing is, i allready have friends. Lots of them. I wasnt going on a date with you to find a new friend, it was because i was interested in you. Any continuation of this "friendship" would be a waste of my time so i will take my leave. Dont contact me again.

If you were actually honest about things, instead of trying to find a sneaky way, i would respect that alot more and there would actually be a chance of a friendship. Just say "iam sorry but i am not interested in you"

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
The_Apprentice said:
I want to be single at this stage of my life etc etc

or

You look/act/sound too much like my brother/unlce/cousin/dad :s

:)

no bad pol! pol's better than making excuses

just say 'meh, it was cool and all, i just don't think i want a relationship with you, let's just stay friends mmkay' and let him decide whether he wants to stay friends or not. It's inevitable that he will be hurt, but just be his friend and be there for him and he'll get over it quickly.

trust me, a web of lies gets you stuck, creates more drama etc.

It's better not to make a white lie, it's pretty see-through.

HSC
N/A
Hhaha ok chris.

I took it as, you've met a random and went on a date. It didnt work out and you don't want to be friends with them or anything else. So it's not like you're losing a friend or anything. It'd be different if there was a bit of history before the date.

rr.dun.dun

HSC
falling out said:
there is no way of telling him you're not attracted to him without hurting him unless you want to lie.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Six words: I'm not gay, but I'll learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)