• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Opposite of Personification (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Does anyone know what the opposite of personification is?

Where you give humans features of nature? Like naturised except it's not a word.

The context is that David Malouf in an imaginary gives a Child features of nature and I want a word to describe that but I can't find one. Can someone help?

arrested development
HSC
If I were you I wouldn't try to make a word fit (eg. naturalises) that just isn't right. It would be much better if you just say something like:

"...is described as having the features of nature..." or "...is described as embodying the features of nature..."

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
yeah, i'd agree with 'slide rule' i'd say there is a correlation of naturalistic elements within maloufs depiction of the child (i havent read the poem yet, but i'm just putting it in a sentence to see if it makes sense :p) maybe it's completely wrong, i dunno...if you want some whacked out term for it, you could call it 'inverse personification'? do you think? i dunno

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
yeh well I completely I just left it as a difference and said:

Whilst Wordsworth in The Prelude personifies nature as nature to Wordsworth was the "sweet breath of heaven". Malouf explores the possibilities of a human child "The Child" having features of the wild.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)