• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Orientation (1 Viewer)

purplemonkey

HSC
How long should I expect to be at Orientation for? Ive got an intro lecture thing from 10-11.
Also, how far is Bankstown Square from campus, are there lots of shops or is it just shithouse?

*Buttercup*

HSC
what about the orientation question? coz id like to know the answer to that too... what do u do at orientation anyway?

= Jennifer =

HSC
Orientation actvities are designed to help you feel confident and positive about the beginning of your university experience.
Why Attend?

One of the best things you can do for yourself, to help you settle into life at university, is to attend Orientation.

Orientation is your first step towards success at University. There are many good reasons for choosing to attend orientation. Here are just ten!

You will be able to start making friends with students from your course early. Social contacts are an important part of university life.

You will have the opportunity to meet and talk with academic and administrative staff who can help you settle into your studies.

You can ask lots of questions in an informal and friendly atmosphere.

You can learn more about the skills that will help you succeed at university.

You can find your way around campus following the Race Around Campus so that from day one you know where you are going.

You can kick start your studies by getting to know everything that the UWS Library offers.

You can explore the facilities the quickest ways to get to and from your campus and save precious time.

You can learn about the services and facilities the university provides for your support.

You can enjoy a relaxed free cuppa at the Orientation welcome tea during your course session.

And lastly,

Transition to University can be confusing. Research both overseas and in Australia shows that students who attend orientation activities are more likely to find the transition easier.
I hope that gives you guys a rough idea it is mainly about learning about uni life, meeting people and getting introduced to what you will be studying :)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
my orientation lecture thing is at 4-5:30. thats so late! what time do you recommend i get there? i want to do one of those library tour things but the last one is at 3 so i guess ill go for that

dishi

HSC
well banx doesnt have a westfield...its called sumfing like bankstown centrepoint i fink..its like a plaza...theyrve got really nice stuff for gud prices so yeh

well if u drive itll take abt yeh 10mins u cud say but by bus it takes 15mins...hmm by drive itll probably take less den 10mins so yeh

and be at ur orientation....u dnt wanna look like a lostie on ur first day besides it only goes for an hour oki doki :wave:

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
its bankstown centro
compared to parra and other places its quite low on shops, but it serves its purpose
i agree with the others on distance by car and bus.. but if you give yourself more time than u need then ull be able to time it and work it out safely for the future

spillargroove

HSC
I wouldn't call Bankstown Square as a shithouse if you haven't been there before. It's like Westfield but smaller and it has all the major stores you will typically find. They are also building a new complex where the large outdoor carpark was.

lol I hope they don't force us to make friends. A friend of mine at UTS' I.T camp, they made all the students make friends.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
spillargroove said:
lol I hope they don't force us to make friends. A friend of mine at UTS' I.T camp, they made all the students make friends.
haha "um, hi, my name is um, simon. im studying bachelor of policing full time. um, in my spare time i like to play playstation and chat on bored of studies dot org... err, i hope to um, have fun at uws and make lots of friends."

spillargroove

HSC
Yeah that's what I mean. They had some Dance Party whilst there as well and naturally, all the guys were already trying to pick up. Anyway, I think you will get to meet the new people better when your in Tutorial. Is anyone else going to UWS without their old friends from school?

Kulazzi

HSC
Centro Bankstown is not the excellent place to shop but it's good if you're an average buyer, it has some of the best and good stores - Target, Kmart, Woolies. all these fish, fruit and vege stores, maccas, individual clothing stores etc. etc.

And yes, I'd say about 10 minutes by car (obviously longer on Thursday arvo/evening - 15min) and 15-20 min by bus.

As for orientation, there should be a sheet telling you between what hours it'll take, I think most of them are 1 hour

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
spillargroove said:
Is anyone else going to UWS without their old friends from school?
me. im the only one from cphs.. then again i think there are a few people going but im not too close with them so im not 100%...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
A few from my skool but all diff campuses diff courses. But dont worry, I went to pre program and at the beginning no one knew anyone and now after two day I have a friend doing the same course :D

green_fairy

mmm, absinthe
HSC
The thing i'm really confused about is that i'm doing Communication and all my lectures/tutorials are at Werrington sth so why on the timetable sheet does it say that all orientation day things are at kingswood? What's the point in that? :confused:

Kulazzi

HSC
werirngton south and kingswood campus are fairly close (as well a spenrith) I guess so they probably decided to put them in one campus rather than having it separately although I'm not too sure

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Kulazzi said:
Centro Bankstown is not the excellent place to shop but it's good if you're an average buyer, it has some of the best and good stores - Target, Kmart, Woolies. all these fish, fruit and vege stores, maccas, individual clothing stores etc. etc.

And yes, I'd say about 10 minutes by car (obviously longer on Thursday arvo/evening - 15min) and 15-20 min by bus.

As for orientation, there should be a sheet telling you between what hours it'll take, I think most of them are 1 hour
Centro Bankstown was where i met Delta, that place will forever be in my debt and its all i think about when i pass it, which is like, once a year if that.

Kulazzi

HSC
melsc said:
^ its where I met Anthony Callea too and the home of the undies incident
undies incident? Care to explain? :p

Yeah, if famous singers were coming to Bankstown, then Centro would be the place they would perform (or Paul Keating park if they preferred an outside event) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)