• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) (1 Viewer)

PaulST

HSC
Being from the country, I thought I would share with your guys some of the activities conducted by several extremist groups.
No doubt many have heard about PETA which standards for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Basically they go around making sure that animals are being looked after. I have no problem with that, but when they go around making rash and unfounded statements, we get angry.
At the moment, they've got the idea that mulesing of sheep and cows is cruel. For those of you that don't know what it is, it's basically the removal of the males testicles through the use of a rubber ring. Beside the initial discomfort, the animals barely feel a thing and their bits drop of several days later. Because the ring cuts off blood circulation, barely any pain is felt.
PETA have been claiming that this is cruel. But they obviously don't know what happens if they don't mules the animals. Basically, flys will lay maggots around the area and they will live in the bits and slowly eat away and plant diseases. Basically the animal will die a painful death.

So before you get involved with such extremist groups, be careful to do your homework. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
PETA would say the animals should be bred in a way to eliminate that.. or something...
There was a huge argument about this where i was anti-peta, search for 'meet your meat' or something like that.

PaulST

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
PETA would say the animals should be bred in a way to eliminate that.. or something...
There was a huge argument about this where i was anti-peta, search for 'meet your meat' or something like that.
Genetically modified animals? They’d be burning flags in the street before agreeing with that I would have though.

K

katie_tully

I live on a sheep farm.
I'd personally like to bash the living daylights out of any person who believes sheep mulesing is cruel.
I suppose we should instead let the sheep get fly blown and die, that'd be a much more humane thing, dont you agree?
And it's interesting to note that most PETA people are yuppies who have never lived on a farm or around animals in their lives.

I'm sure if there was an easier, cheaper solution to mulesing, farmers would be doing it. It's not exactly the most fun job in the world... but it then safeguards that sheep from being fly blown, with annual crotching to keep wool from getting too thick around the anus.

Comrade nathan

HSC
One of the major guys for PETA in Australia was a former worker for RSPCA, they kicked him out for something extreme. So it would be assumed these group are not respected by more professional logic groups.

How do these people get funding?

These people should be criminalized or muled, preferably muled.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
PaulST said:
So before you get involved with such extremist groups, be careful to do your homework.
oh shit mate, thanks for the heads up. i was almost gonna do that!

PaulST

HSC
Comrade nathan said:
O
How do these people get funding?
There probably is some form of government funding, although don't quote me. I imagine most comes from wealthy individuals who believe they are doing something for the world.

Comrade nathan

HSC
PaulST said:
There probably is some form of government funding, although don't quote me. I imagine most comes from wealthy individuals who believe they are doing something for the world.
I doubt the government fund them.

K

katie_tully

Well....atleast there aren't people in here squealing over the unethical treatment of animals....yet

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Those are some huge numbers :S I have to say it looks more like a business than a nonprofit organisation (like most are..)?

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with you: from the PETA Holiday 2004 Animal Times:
This holiday we must side with the turkeys, lobsters, and chickens and bring people over to the healthier, humane side of the table. That’s easy if you are armed with veggie dishes to share and fabulous facts, e.g., that a vegan is 57% less likely than a meat-eater to have a heart attack, that turkey flesh contains nearly the same amount of cholesterol as beef, and that veggies have no cholesterol whatsoever!
RIIIGHT. If I did that to my friends they'd walk out on me :p

K

katie_tully

Oh.
My.
God.
Are those people all there in the head? It has been clinically proven that people with no meat in their diets lack the protein and iron needed, as well as other minerals/vitamins. Vegies have to take supplements for these... notice how they didn't mention that in their article? ke ke ke.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Here's an article (same edition) on Australian live sheep exports and mulesing:

http://www.peta.org/living/at-holiday2004/4-5.pdf (I couldn't find a text version, sorry)

I'd be interested to hear what people who actually know what this is about have to say? (It sounds kind of over the top in the article, I have to say..)

K

katie_tully

I've lived on a sheep farm for 13 years. People affiliated with PETA have not.

The whole process of mulesing is to protect the sheep. Newsflash; We don't like to do it, but it is a necessity. Obviously if there was another solution, or if it wasn't necessary we wouldnt waste our time.
Now, the process can be done several ways;
The tales can be cut off with a heat knife which quartarizes the wound so that it does not bleed. Same is done to the testies of the male lambs. An antiseptic powder/spray is then applied so that it further prevents infection and flies.
Another way is to put a rubber band on the tail and the testies so that eventually they just fall off.

Then, annually, the area is "crotched" so that wool does not grow too thick. When it does grow thick in that area, their poop catches to the wool, which attracts flies which then eat the sheep alive. They lay maggots in the sheeps flesh, eventually spreading to other areas.
The whole process of mulesing is to stop sheep from getting fly blown. A quick process that prvents further distress to the sheep in the future.

Do you know what their solution to this was on 60 minutes?
"Well, maybe you shouldn't have sheep in Australia then".

K

katie_tully

They didnt outright agree with them, they just neglected to run a story from a sheep farmers POV... thus making the report extremely misguided and above all one sided.

Pace Setter

What about the "husbandry" techniques that their using in Europe? Any idea on the effectiveness/cost of the newer ones? That's what the head of Peta kept bringing up in the ABC radio interviews

Generator

HSC
N/A
What works in Europe may not be a practical option in Australia. They have a point in that perhaps sheep shouldn't be farmed in Australia, but it's far too late to just stop now.

tattoodguy

peta is gooood, shut ur mouths u animal tortureres.

i saw on channel v all this stuff about farmers....doing all these things to animals.. ripping the teeth out of live animals etc etc etc.

farmers send animals to the midddle east to be tortured and shit........ i rememmber on 60 minutes these dirty muslims chucked this lamb around or something and broke its legs or something.. and a whole range of other cruel shit.

how about how those farmers put those sheap on that boat...and let so many of them die at sea? farmers are gready maggots who prey on the vulnerable for profit.

farmers are scum and so are ummmmmmmmm pple who follow certain religions.

what is halal meat ??????????????????????????????/ does that mean the animal has been tortured to death?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
you can't criticise the religion or people and brand them as "scum". If it's necessary, then brand their dietary practices.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
katie_tully said:
Do you know what their solution to this was on 60 minutes?
"Well, maybe you shouldn't have sheep in Australia then".
oh god I saw that and laughed...
PETA pisses me off in general though. I'm all for not treating animals bad and stuff, but they go way too far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)