• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

polynomials/complex no's q (1 Viewer)

bally24

HSC
from cambridge 4.4: show that the zeroes of P(x)=x<sup>4</sup>-x<sup>2</sup>+1 are included in the zeroes of x<sup>6</sup>+1. Hence factorise P(x) over R.

first part is fine, i factorised it as a cubic. but how do you find roots, not including x=1, x=-1, of x^6+1? since it is an even power and so 1 is not a solution. i dunno im just really confused about it. thank for your help.

edit: i know it used complex roots of unity but i dont understand how to do that.

P

pLuvia

x6+1=0
x6=-1
x6=cis(pi+2kpi)

Can you work it out from there?

bally24

HSC
k is 0, 1, 2, 3.... right? then won't you get the solutions just as cis(pi), cis(3pi), cis(5pi) etc? is that right? lol im probably been really dumb here...

P

pLuvia

bally24 said:
k is 0, 1, 2, 3.... right? then won't you get the solutions just as cis(pi), cis(3pi), cis(5pi) etc? is that right? lol im probably been really dumb here...
k=0,+1,+2,3 easier this way but your method is fine.
Yep that looks correct. Then you can easily turn the solutions back into cartesian form

P

pLuvia

bally24 said:
thats great...thanks!
Actually sorry, misread your answers they should be cis(pi/6), cis(pi/2), cis(5pi/6) ... Since x=cis[(pi+2kpi)/6]

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The reason why taking k=0,+1,+2, etc. is easier is because you won't get any improper fractions which might otherwise need converting, ie subtracting/adding 2pi to get it into the range from -pi to pi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)