• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

President Barack Obama to be impeached by US Congress (1 Viewer)

na110793

HSC
Cannot see anything, which leads to one conclusion: BOLLOCKS.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Link fixed

I'm not really well versed in the US Constitution, but funkshen has posted saying that the US Commander in Chief/executive has the power to wage war without Congressional approval, or something to that effect.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Expressing the sense of Congress that the use of offensive military force by a President without prior and clear authorization of an Act of Congress constitutes an impeachable high crime and misdemeanor under article II, section 4 of the Constitution.

what
am i missing something

starting a war offensive
is a
misdemeanour?

EDIT: disregard that i suck cock

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
meaningless, misguided and talking-out-of-arse bill is meaningless, miguided and talking-out-of-arse

it helps to read the constitution and related legislation before you do this kind of stuff, MR. JONES

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Well from my understanding, the opposing argument is that the president is allowed to send troops into armed combat, provided he tells congress within 48 hours. After that congress can approve the deployment, else the president has to send the troops back home IIRC (there is also a clause somewhere that states that the president is entitled to extend the deployment by 30 days if it is unsafe to immediately withdraw). War Powers Resolution for anybody that is interested. It seems the other side are going with the War Powers Clause of the Constitution, which states that congress has the power to declare war.

Others would probably have a better understanding of the US Constitution than me.

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Well from my understanding, the opposing argument is that the president is allowed to send troops into armed combat, provided he tells congress within 48 hours. After that congress can approve the deployment, else the president has to send the troops back home IIRC (there is also a clause somewhere that states that the president is entitled to extend the deployment by 30 days if it is unsafe to immediately withdraw). War Powers Resolution for anybody that is interested. It seems the other side are going with the War Powers Clause of the Constitution, which states that congress has the power to declare war.

Others would probably have a better understanding of the US Constitution than me.
the war powers resolution is the most pertinent act but there are so many other acts that provide loopholes (e.g. authorization for use of military force against terrorists)

unfortunately, no president in the near future could ever conceivably be found to have acted in contravention of the war powers resolution (mostly due to its indeterminate language and the changing nature of warfare). which is why a lot of congressmen are pushing for a new/amended act, which in my opinion would be sterilised in negotiations and ultimately be futile while america plays world police

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Although Congress does have the power to cut off funding to the Military, and hence go against the President's wishes of war and whatnot (I thought it was after 60 days, not 30 - but I could be wrong), it's very unlikely to happen. The other side could just label Congress un-American and not supporting their troops and whatnot, and that is a death knell to any political party (or candidate) in America.

As funkshen says - there are many a loophole in relation to the War Powers Act.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
President is allowed to send troops in for 60 days, however if it is dangerous to pull out within that time frame, he is permitted another 30 under the resolution. Obviously if congress approves within that period, the deployment is then naturally extended.

Edit: Just double checked on Wikipedia:

The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress, overriding a presidential veto.
Source.

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Although Congress does have the power to cut off funding to the Military, and hence go against the President's wishes of war and whatnot (I thought it was after 60 days, not 30 - but I could be wrong), it's very unlikely to happen. The other side could just label Congress un-American and not supporting their troops and whatnot, and that is a death knell to any political party (or candidate) in America.

As funkshen says - there are many a loophole in relation to the War Powers Act.
30 days, and an automatic 30 days extension.
congress doesn't have the power to cut off military expenditure, but the power to review spending once a year (the military budget). however there are a lot of provisions in the legislature and legally binding contracts which mean they cannot simply cut defence spending all willy nilly.
and as you said, there are political obstacles too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)