• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quitting a job (1 Viewer)

Imaginethat

HSC
Hey,In general, if someone were to quit a job with a back-up in mind, would you have to tell your current employer about this one? I'm worried that my manager will be heaps angry and not give me a proper reference...Anyone who has experienced this dilemma, any of your insights would be much appreciated :)

ochaguy

HSC
1. Are under a contract? If so, does it say how many weeks notice you have to provide before leaving? Will there be a cost if your contract is broken?

2. Did you have a good relationship with your manager in the first place? If not, it's better to get someone from work who has a good relationship with you even if they are the same rank as you. A reference is just a character assessment really. Also make sure to ask permission from your referee, to be your referee....before they get called up

3. Don't leave your job until the other place has confirmed with you. Anything can happen with final round interviews etc.

4. Write a formal employment termination letter thanking them for "the employment opportunity and skills that you've learnt from them etc." Courtesy calls. Can be generic but personalise if necessary

5. Don't burn any bridges on your last day. Who knows if you might bump into your past colleagues in the future.

6. Make sure you don't get shortchanged by payroll after you leave. Chase up any lost income if necessary

Hope this helps

michaeljennings

HSC
Hey,In general, if someone were to quit a job with a back-up in mind, would you have to tell your current employer about this one? I'm worried that my manager will be heaps angry and not give me a proper reference...Anyone who has experienced this dilemma, any of your insights would be much appreciated :)
Tell them youre moving overseas so you cant be working there anymore

Imaginethat

HSC
@ochaguy:

1. I work at KFC lol
2. Yeah I've had a pretty good relationship with manager. But, recently I've had some cash handling issues which I don't think are totally my fault; i.e. manager draw skimming incorrectly as such and so on... This is the main point of my thread - it has never happened until recently over my 2 and a half yrs of work that I've had these issues/warnings (not stealing btw) so there is some pressure there for me to leave myself (also finding it boring as well) - but I srsly want to leave on a good note though... don't know if this is right time
3. Just on this point, so I tell my KFC manager about the 2nd job that I am seeking
4. Will do.
5. k.
6. k.

What do you say man?

@michaeljennings - haha, I'm strong on the truth/reliability so I'll avoid this path - but thanks for your input nonetheless :p

boganxcore

HSC
just stop turning up and dont answer and calls until they stop calling

Imaginethat

HSC
just stop turning up and dont answer and calls until they stop calling
mmm, wish I could but it prolly won't turn out good in the long-term :S damn, I wish the managers didn't handle most of our cash registers - stuffing up our cash flows and giving us warnings - this doesn't look good to a potential employer.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)