• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Regarding Standard English and Advanced English (1 Viewer)

Cheefi

HSC
I have not been going as great in Advanced English as I would like to be. My results throughout Year 11 are x/42 (didn't finish writing), x/30 and x/30, with my ranks being x/167, x/167 and x/167 respectively. This brings me to a cumulative rank of x/167. Do you think it would be a good idea to move to Standard English for year 12? I will admit that I have not been trying as hard as I could have been.

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
no never drop to standard, not even if ur life depends on it, standard is an atar killer, u will regret it, only 0.4% of students got a band 6 in standard in 2013 compared to the 12% in advanced, there is no major difference in difficulty, you will still be writing lots of essays and studying texts, dropping to standard won't mean you will find standard easy, keep advanced, your ranks are not bad and can be improved.

/thread

HSC
no never drop to standard, not even if ur life depends on it, standard is an atar killer, u will regret it, only 0.4% of students got a band 6 in standard in 2013 compared to the 12% in advanced, there is no major difference in difficulty, you will still be writing lots of essays and studying texts, dropping to standard won't mean you will find standard easy, keep advanced, your ranks are not bad and can be improved.

/thread
Standard is not an ATAR killer. Standard and Advanced have pretty much the same scaling, it's the aligning that is bad. OP, stick with Advanced, as a standard student myself, i have put a shit tonne of effort to maintain my first rank over the year. More effort than most of the advanced kids.

Stick with Advanced, you need to study hard and constantly write essays. The way you improve english is the same as how you improve maths. Through past papers. You must constantly write essays to test your understanding of the prescribed texts.

Standard is stressful, because if you want the maximum atar possible, you need to be first. Because standard is (not being mean) filled with people with low-english abilities, you need to be ranked 1st to ensure no one can reduce your ATAR by any amount. You don't want to do standard, and get ranked 4th whilst the person who is 1st doesn't even get high marks but you ranked 4th because it wasn't your luck or something.

Stick with Advanced!

Cheefi

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys. Just wanted to add that I am doing Chemistry, Physics, Biology, 3U and 4U Maths for Year 12 also. My teacher said it might be a good idea to drop due to the workload of those subjects, and some of my friends thought the same.

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys. Just wanted to add that I am doing Chemistry, Physics, Biology, 3U and 4U Maths for Year 12 also. My teacher said it might be a good idea to drop due to the workload of those subjects, and some of my friends thought the same.
you're on 12 units, 2 won't count towards your ATAR, no point of studying it when you can be refocusing energy and time into other subjects and maximising marks there.

Drop your worst subjet

Cheefi

HSC
I am not confident that I can get a good enough mark in 4U Maths to use it for my atar, but I still want to try it. I've kept 12 units so that I have the ability to drop to 3U Maths if I need to.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't drop to Standard...You'd have to top it pretty much to be relativelly safe...

The aligning is awful -_-

HSC
Don't drop to Standard...You'd have to top it pretty much to be relativelly safe...

The aligning is awful -_-
exactly. haha i did a shit tonne of work to get there :p and i don't recommend any one to do standard and endure what i have

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)