• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Rural med/dental experiences (1 Viewer)

Daveky

HSC
Hi there, wondering if anyone would like to share their experience in rural study or practice.

Some people say in rural study they had more fun so I wanted to know why that is.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm pharmacy, not med or dent, but I can give you my perspectives of rural placement. It was AWESOME. There's no other word to describe it, honestly. There were several reasons.

1) It was somewhere different. I had never lived in rural Australia before for an extended amount of time (and it's not even long--it was 2 weeks).
2) It was my third time living away from home but my first time cooking and cleaning and washing for myself (the other two times were both one-week holidays away from family where food was provided). Sad I know, but I found it exciting to be able to do these simple things and feel like an independent adult. A lot of my colleagues I suspect it was their first or second time away from home too.
3) You're more relaxed (presumably). We did it during these July holidays. And if it's during semester, the people surrounding you are so much more relaxed anyway you will be more relaxed by the end.
4) The people surrounding you are so much nicer. Not just relaxed, but nicer. Probably because they're less uptight, but whatever.

I would highly recommend rural placement to everyone. As they say, don't knock it till you've tried it! Because of this placement, when I wasn't even considering going rural on a serious basis, I now am applying for all the rural jobs I can get my hands on. It's good, seriously.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
ok we went on a 1 week rural placement 2 weeks ago. ive never lived in a rural area so it was def a unique experience. we looked at what people had access to, how a rural hospital works, the general industries in a rural area and how people make a living etc. it was certainly fascinating and a different experience. the people were very friendly and even strangers say hi to each other on the street.

however the facilities cannot compare to those in metro hospitals. the facilities for a lot specialties arent available and the hospitals are severely underfunded and do not have the equipment to do a lot of the procedures.

being someone whos lived in the city for most of his life, i could not see myself living in a rural area for an extended period of time. perhaps for some experience, but def not a permanent practitioner.

Daveky

HSC
Hi thanks for the reply,

so did you guys do rural placement as part of your studies trhough uni?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)