• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Selective School Advantage? (1 Viewer)

rdxd

HSC
I'm now in year 12 but in year 11 I moved from a public high school to a selective high school (Girraween) and our tests are considerably harder than those sat by normal high schools. BUT this got me thinking, my ranks aren't all flash and my marks are relatively low to those I achieved at my old school, so will this negatively impact on my HSC or will the BoS consider my participation in a selective school?

Advise greatly appreciated :)

Subjects:
Adv. English
Adv. Maths
Business
Legal
Music
Engineering Studies

P.S I'm going to drop legal after 1/2 yearlies

blackops23

HSC
The MEAN of a class is what is scaling about.
In a selective school the mean is higher.
Assuming you did not do terrible and your mark is only a small part away from the mean.... it means your intelligent class will scale you up.
Basically you can ride along the wave of their achievement.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
On paper (i.e. with regards to scaling) there is NO advantage or disadvantage between schools. All schools whether they be selective, private or otherwise are treated equally when calculating the marks.

However, there may be psychological benefits with going to a selective school. This can include:
- A more competitive environment so there is more peer pressure on doing well academically than in other schools which can motivate others to do well (I think this is the primary reason selective schools do well)
- More difficult/advanced level tests/coverage because it provides a more stimulating and challenging environment which means higher expectations to meet
- Access to high achieving students/friends who may help you out when you're stuck on a hard question

powlmao

Banned
HSC
it means crap

No matter what school you go to It always matters on your ranks and your external mark

Coffeeee

HSC
N/A
Hi! I also go to a selective school in Sydney. It is definitely not an advantage. Why?
Because there are other selective high schools whose students do better in assessments and exams. For example, compare Ruse to Girra.... if your exams are hard, theirs would be even worse. So I guess it will be seen as an advantage compared to other non-selective high schools, but going James Ruse Vs. Girraween, no, not an advantage at all. Baulko Vs. Girra, no.
However, psychologically: competition is great :D.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Just ponder: if there is no advantage why are (azn) parents investing so much energy and money (if going to coaching) to get their children in. Are they idiots?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Hi! I also go to a selective school in Sydney. It is definitely not an advantage. Why?
Because there are other selective high schools whose students do better in assessments and exams. For example, compare Ruse to Girra.... if your exams are hard, theirs would be even worse. So I guess it will be seen as an advantage compared to other non-selective high schools, but going James Ruse Vs. Girraween, no, not an advantage at all. Baulko Vs. Girra, no.
However, psychologically: competition is great :D.
HErP drEp

edwardly

HSC
well the only advantage i can think of would be the competition that would make you do better and the mean of the class but that still depends if you do shit or not

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
What about the 3 bonus ATAR points you get when you go to a selective school?

They were a god send!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)