• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Senator Obama's Victory Speech (1 Viewer)

puppyie

HSC
I have to write an analysis on the speech and basically pick out two techniques from the text as well as draw out themes of belonging ... can anyone help give me ideas on themes of belonging in the text ... thanks! =]

ApolloVII

HSC
I was going to use this. If you want to use Obama then I suggest his 2004 address to the DNC, a far better speech for belonging in my opinion.

Themes I would suggest would be the duty that a member has to a community. I would say the repetition of "Yes we can" emphasizes that a group effort is necessary in order to reach their goal (In this case, change)

I would help more but I don't have the speech saved any more. Best of luck!

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
puppyie said:
I have to write an analysis on the speech and basically pick out two techniques from the text as well as draw out themes of belonging ... can anyone help give me ideas on themes of belonging in the text ... thanks! =]
1) Epistrophe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistrophe

And tonight, I think about all that shes seen throughout her century in America - the heartache and the hope; the struggle and the progress; the times we were told that we cant, and the people who pressed on with that American creed: Yes we can.

At a time when womens voices were silenced and their hopes dismissed, she lived to see them stand up and speak out and reach for the ballot. Yes we can.

When there was despair in the dust bowl and depression across the land, she saw a nation conquer fear itself with a New Deal, new jobs and a new sense of common purpose. Yes we can.

When the bombs fell on our harbor and tyranny threatened the world, she was there to witness a generation rise to greatness and a democracy was saved. Yes we can.

She was there for the buses in Montgomery, the hoses in Birmingham, a bridge in Selma, and a preacher from Atlanta who told a people that We Shall Overcome. Yes we can.

A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. And this year, in this election, she touched her finger to a screen, and cast her vote, because after 106 years in America, through the best of times and the darkest of hours, she knows how America can change. Yes we can.

Yes We Can. Thank you, God bless you, and may God Bless the United States of America.
2) Climax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climax_(figure_of_speech)

At a time when womens voices were silenced and their hopes dismissed, she lived to see them stand up and speak out and reach for the ballot. Yes we can.

When there was despair in the dust bowl and depression across the land, she saw a nation conquer fear itself with a New Deal, new jobs and a new sense of common purpose. Yes we can.

When the bombs fell on our harbor and tyranny threatened the world, she was there to witness a generation rise to greatness and a democracy was saved. Yes we can

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)