• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should we start studying now? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Its been like a week and abit and i havent studied at all... i haven't been bothered at all....

i can't get motivated... how do you guys get motivated ? lol .....
I have a few essays due in week 6-7-8 one of them.. and i don't even know how to right one .. im screwed.. BBA103 is too fast paced for me .. screwed again .. POL167 soooo boring .. BUS201 best subject ever.. lectures are fun and no tuts for it just 1 lecture .. bestest ever...

essays.. im screwed i dunno how to right em and i wont be any good at it.. any tips on how i can do really good in em? im aiming for credits how do i achieve that? any tips

THANKS PPL .. peace out

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I've started, but I dont really have a choice seeing I have 120 pages to read for psych, and at least 80-100 for each of my law subjects per week.

In the end, you know you just have to do it, and so you do. I dont enjoy it - far from it - but I do feel satisfied coming home from uni and being able to justify watching TV.

One tip - study at uni, probably the library is best. Because once you're in there and you have secured yourself a table, you cant leave. You have nothing else to do but work, and you do get through it.

If you're aiming for a credit average, I would start the readings now, try and get ahead, and start researching (even if its only briefly) for your assessments. It makes life so much easier if you're organised. Mind you, you dont ever appreciate being organised until you've had the experience in being disorganised! :)

With researching, just start off with the basics - read articles, highlight them, write summaries etc, so at least, when it comes to putting pen to paper (or finger to keyboard), you at least have a basic knowledge and understanding that goes beyond what they have taught you.

As for essays, you'll soon learn that every faculty and tutor has their own style that they like, but there is one universal rule: make it clear. Dont *ever* bog yourself (and your wordcount) down by defining things - its a major no-no in every subject I've ever taken. Its not like the HSC where you have to write like no one has the background info, so just totally cut the padding crap. Apart from that, answer the question! I know it sounds really simple, but its so easy to get caught going off on a tangent and writing stuff that doesnt contribute at all to your argument. For this, get someone else to read your work, and ask them what they think your essay is on about. If its close, or even better, spot on the actual question, then you've done well :) Oh, and always reference correctly!

I think they have writing skill classes on around SAM, and people who can look over your work and give you a tip or two.

Gosh, I've crapped on a lot... hope this helps to some degree! :D

p.s. And you MUST drop the "this subject is crap" attitude because, in the end, you have to do it. So get over it, and get on with it! The quicker you do all your readings, the sooner it will be over :)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
*chokes*

Study? What's that?

Anyway ;)

I get motivated with the help of studybuddies. After whinging to each other endlessly about how badly we're procrastinating, one of us normally buckles down and says "I'm working now!". So then we all play what I call "paragraph tag" and let each other know when we've finished a significant chunk :)

As for essays, I'd look at some of the short-courses they have avaliable around uni about essay-writing. :)

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
MJ, I was talking to a friend from psychopathology and she says how there are multi-choice questions on the web. I had a look and their are millions of them, and their is strong evidence that they may actually use some in the exam. It gives the url at the end of each chapter if your interested.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
MaryJane said:
p.s. And you MUST drop the "this subject is crap" attitude because, in the end, you have to do it. So get over it, and get on with it! The quicker you do all your readings, the sooner it will be over :)
I need to get over my hatred for psy222 n my regretness for not doing stat270 when i had the chance!

thanx mj

HSC
Cool thanks people ! Helps heaps..... i'll sign up to some essay classes.. and get myself on track

ill start summarising some notes i have pn each subject so far and work on my readings ..

Thanks

CieL

HSC
little-rat-boi said:
im screwed.. BBA103 is too fast paced for me
Hear Hear!

There doesn't seem to be any iLectures or any odd notes for this unit, so it's all up to the individual and what they learn through the lectures.

I got Economics for Today today (heh) and I read up to pg50 or so, and I have to admit reading has helped me to understand some of the things Allan skimmed through. I can't understand half the things he says somethings.. when he says "price ceiling", I thought he said "price sealing".. until my friend corrected me since he's done eco and understands most terms..

And there's this ONE guy.. who ALWAYS wears jeans and either a green or white polo style top that leaves the lecture after 10mins of sitting there whether it be STAT or BBA or ACST.. I ALWAYS see him leaving lectures.. Now I'm laughing because Allan covered a topic which was not listed in the textbook..

*thinks what I'm trying to say*

Yerrrrrr... I would help you if I wasn't screwed myself :)

X

xeuyrawp

At this point, do your readings and set homework as the first priority. Secondly, revise when you come home, or before the tutorial where something is due.

That should be fine until later in the year when you'll need to go over all your revision notes, and, of course, when you have to do essays.

HSC
CieL said:
Hear Hear!

There doesn't seem to be any iLectures or any odd notes for this unit, so it's all up to the individual and what they learn through the lectures.

I got Economics for Today today (heh) and I read up to pg50 or so, and I have to admit reading has helped me to understand some of the things Allan skimmed through. I can't understand half the things he says somethings.. when he says "price ceiling", I thought he said "price sealing".. until my friend corrected me since he's done eco and understands most terms..

And there's this ONE guy.. who ALWAYS wears jeans and either a green or white polo style top that leaves the lecture after 10mins of sitting there whether it be STAT or BBA or ACST.. I ALWAYS see him leaving lectures.. Now I'm laughing because Allan covered a topic which was not listed in the textbook..

He goes through everything so so so fast... i dont have time to register everything... and let alone time to write even half the things down...
i looked at the assignment we have to give in and im just 'mind blanked'

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
CieL said:
Hear Hear!

I did BBA103 last year.. it is very fast paced... it gets worse later on. The final isn't that bad though... I stopped going to lectures totally because (one i went to the evening lecture, thats 3 hours straight from 6-9 every monday and two i had work that day and was too buggered to go). I can't say that not going to lectures hindered me.. I couldn't handle the lecturer, I'm abit slow so i didn't learn anything while i was there. Although I did like his lil stories that he chucked in there from time to time.

Read the book, thats what I did... and once MICRO is finished. Goto EVERY SINGLE macro lecture and the ones towards the end. The lady gives VERY comprehensive notes and I didn't even bother reading the book for macro, just studied off her notes.

If any of you guys need help in this subject, just message me or whatever.

I ended getting a high credit/almost distinction for this subject. It seems hard but it's not really, the final has really hard MC's but the essays are what usually saves you. Because there's three essays and one question your given a week earlier to prepare. So you guys should be right.

Don't fail it! imagine doing it again :s

CieL

HSC
little-rat-boi said:
Yeah me too, that's why I'm not planning to look at it until our mid semester break.. Hopefully by then it'll make some sense..

clairegirl said:
the essays are what usually saves you. Because there's three essays and one question your given a week earlier to prepare. So you guys should be right.
Oh great.. memorised essays are my weakest point.. I can't memorise for bananas.. I usually end up doing better for on-the-spot type essays since it disadvantages everyone (unless you're uber prepared and can mould your prepared essay into any goddamn thing according to my HS experience)..

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
MJ, I was talking to a friend from psychopathology and she says how there are multi-choice questions on the web. I had a look and their are millions of them, and their is strong evidence that they may actually use some in the exam. It gives the url at the end of each chapter if your interested.
As in the CD in the book? Or the books website, or WebCT? I've seen a few on webCT and its history questions :eek:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I havent really had the motivation yet, havent even got a proper book for my subjects haha, actually I should go do the readings for tomorrow roflmao.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I bought pens today! And also half cleaned the junk that built up due to semester 2, last year, and summer school. :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
to get motivated I think of every other year where I have left everything to the last minute and remember that i don't want that to happen anymore.

tips? summarise as you go (have all your notes up to date before the next lecture for that subject). make good notes in the lectures so you don't even have to worry about fixing them up at home, it saves a lot of time. don't get into the mindset of "im screwed" because it's only week 2 so you're really not if you are prepared to catch up.

now my rant
ahh so much reading on this board tonight
i feel like i need to read it all so i can destress
i haven't started studying but at the end of last weekend i was satisfied with what i had done and now 2 days later i am bogged down and starting to stress out because i am determined to keep on top of things for the first time, really really determined.

little-rat-boi said:
He goes through everything so so so fast... i dont have time to register everything... and let alone time to write even half the things down...
haha that is why i tend to write before i register what they are saying.
AsyLum said:
I havent really had the motivation yet, havent even got a proper book for my subjects haha, actually I should go do the readings for tomorrow roflmao.
lol literally, i love how some people are so laid back, i'm a stress-head, i'll be fine tomorrow, this thread has just caught me at an agitated time

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
I still have to get my textbooks. Damn queues and my impatience.

Ohh and study? What do you mean. TRY get through your set readings first before you start thinking of additional work. Ok but this is me and i do the bare minium (partly because the subjects i do dont have ongoing work/quizzes- they are readings every week, a couple of essays and a presentation and maybe an exam if you are unlucky) and havent motivated myself to start my readings yet. I dont understand people who can just study to study.

^___^
HSC
eh
i have to keep up

doing 2 programming units, and one internet (web tech), if i don't keep up weekly for these units, i should expect 0 for my assignments

eh

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iambored said:
i had done and now 2 days later i am bogged down and starting to stress out
See! If you had people like me or jimmy on your list, we'd entertain and keep you from getting too stressed! :p
*~Dazed~* said:
I still have to get my textbooks. Damn queues and my impatience.

Ohh and study? What do you mean. TRY get through your set readings first before you start thinking of additional work. Ok but this is me and i do the bare minium (partly because the subjects i do dont have ongoing work/quizzes- they are readings every week, a couple of essays and a presentation and maybe an exam if you are unlucky) and havent motivated myself to start my readings yet. I dont understand people who can just study to study.
How you finding MAS203?

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
guys its week 2... you dont study till exams which is like 10 weeks or 15 weeks away

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)