• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sitting in on lectures (1 Viewer)

patlaw

HSC
Is it allowed to sit in on lectures to get an idea of the course?

I'm in year 11 and want to look at some courses to see what interests me.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
theres no way of knowing whether or not you are a uni student (or even if you belong in that course...lol, ive lost track of how many chem lectures ive gone to)
only thing is, make sure you look like you belong. other wise students will point and laugh.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
there is a program where you shadow a student for a day in a course u are interested in

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
isnt that only for students that attend schools in the unilink program? and not all schools are in that...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Yeah there is no way they they could possibly know you are not enrolled in the course. I have been to a few lectures I am not enrolled in now and nothing has happened. I am not sure if they care that people do it or not though, I don't think they do though:).

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
only thing is, make sure you look like you belong...
Wear a berret, drink lots of coffee and say things like "I hate the government"

:)

Last edited:

DV8

HSC
Yeah there's no probs sitting in. Back in yr 12, a group of us had planned to come in and have a look around... never did happen :rolleyes: . I mean some parents bring their kids along to lectures... poor buggers... sitting a 3-4 yr old through a 2 hour Stat lecture :D

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
natstar said:
But yeah, lecture halls usualy have around 100 ppl in them and its impossible to detect a student from a non student.
At least:).

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
anyone listen to hack (JJJ) today? there was a story on sitting in on lectures on it

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
I didnt hear that much of it, but they talked to a few people that sat in on lectures, asking them why they did it, and if anyone ever noticed if they werent in the class. Some said they had been caugh before, and lecturers didnt care. Then some guy from la trobe uni spoke about the tradition of "Lecture squatting" and said that the general consensus is that it is ok if the person sitting in asks the permission of the lecturer...

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
do u really have to get the lectureres permission??? do they really care if you arent enrolled in the course?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
the majority of lectures are too big for the lecturer to know who should be there and who shouldnt.
i think with a uni like la trobe, it is a lot smaller than newcastle, so its a lot more personal, and theres more chance of the lecturers knowing if you belong there or not (well, its smaller according to my friend at the albury/wodonga campus)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)