• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

so they reckon geography is a waste of time? (1 Viewer)

GubGub

HSC
hey ive had numerous people tell em that geography is a waste of time... i dont think this is true i think it holds its own and all those people who put down geography are a waste of my time... if your a geography fan post here

felixcthecat

HSC
haha.. well, i guess it realli depends whether the other ppl in your class take it serious, if they don't, any subject would be a waste of time since you won't be able to concentrate studying and learning the respective subject...

geography has been 'alright' this year.. not particularly my most favourite subject.. where's all the geographers on BOS anyway? this "Geography" forum is soo dead =.=

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
lol. It's true, this forum is dead. even the "LET's bring some life to this forum!!!" thread turned into a semi-intellectual discussion about subject choice.

You could just say that the 06 geographers are, on average, less easily distracted than the 05ers...but i dont know how plausible this theory is.

felixcthecat

HSC
so did you do geography last year The_highwayman?

does BOS mean getting distracted? mhmm i don't think sooo..or maybe they just don't get bored of their geography ^^'', studying mangroves is realli boring me out this term =.=

"Chubby"

HSC
GubGub said:
hey ive had numerous people tell em that geography is a waste of time... i dont think this is true i think it holds its own and all those people who put down geography are a waste of my time... if your a geography fan post here

i don't reckon it is......it depends what u r interested in....my geo class at school is the first senior geography class in 6 - 7 yrs......lolz

felixcthecat

HSC
Chubby said:
i don't reckon it is......it depends what u r interested in....my geo class at school is the first senior geography class in 6 - 7 yrs......lolz
wahhhhh... that scares me~~ i think my school has consistent ~3-4 classes each year... anyways, yayy another geographer on BOS ^0^

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
i hated geo due to my past experiences with it from previous years. what do you learn in the hsc course?

"Chubby"

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
i hated geo due to my past experiences with it from previous years. what do you learn in the hsc course?
you learn ecosystems at risk, people and economic activity, urban places. I think i'm missing one topic....i don't seem to remember it......lolz.....silly me.

"Chubby"

HSC
felixcthecat said:
wahhhhh... that scares me~~ i think my school has consistent ~3-4 classes each year... anyways, yayy another geographer on BOS ^0^

LOL!

felixcthecat

HSC
Chubby said:
you learn ecosystems at risk, people and economic activity, urban places. I think i'm missing one topic....i don't seem to remember it......lolz.....silly me.

umm nope, that's all the topics.. 3 of them =D .. the syllabus last year was sooo much more interesting!! (based on development)

"Chubby"

HSC
The_highwayman said:
the HSC course is very interesting, moreso, in my opinion, than the preliminary course.

@felix: i did geography last year.

o ok, how did go? was the paper hard? how did u study for geo? i heard form a friend of a friend of mine that you had to do something like 3 extended responses...lolz

felixcthecat

HSC
mhmm... i just did my geography assessment yesterday... it was 40min, 2 questions, 20 marks each... i wrote like 2.5 pages each, is that too much? cuz it seems that everyone wrote only ~1.5 pages...

the assessment was based on fieldwork and management strategies, ecosystem vulnerability and stuff on the first first topic..

is it better in geography to mention a lot of management strategies and just keep mentioning a lot a lot, basically all u kno (cuz there's a lot).. or should i focus on the main ones, and elaborate on them.. like a detailed description, its effectiveness, and so on..

i seem to be doing the latter, and after the assessment i asked what others wrote, and they're all like little itty bitty points.. which i also would hav thought been good if i listed them at the end..

any thoughts? HSC geography veterans or not..~

HSC
Chubby said:
o ok, how did go? was the paper hard? how did u study for geo?
our paper wasnt "hard" if you knew r stuff, but it was a little obscure in places and/or left-field.
I studied by summarising notes. then i summarised these summaries into just key words. I then made sure i knew the syllabus dotpoints exactly, where they were located in the document, any relevant dashpoints or sub-points (this is particularly useful in the Urban dynamics part of urban places when u have to look at the results of urban dynamics)

I am a visual and aural learner so i used lots of diagrams in my notes and read them out loud when i studied for my exams so i would hear them. Find out how u learn best and study in accordance to this strength.

i heard form a friend of a friend of mine that you had to do something like 3 extended responses...lolz
Yes. And so do u.

Each response is worth twenty marks. There is one question derived from each of the hsc topics: "ecosystems at risk", "people and economic activity" and "urban Places"
felixcthecat said:
mhmm... i just did my geography assessment yesterday... it was 40min, 2 questions, 20 marks each... i wrote like 2.5 pages each, is that too much? cuz it seems that everyone wrote only ~1.5 pages...
I would call that a fair effort for the start of the HSC year (2.5 pages). remember, that by the time the HSC comes, you will have to write an essay in about 40mins (?). Depending on how long ur essays usually are and how big ur writing is, relative to the other students in ur class should help u to decide whether what u wrote was enough or not. Quantity does play a role in ur extended responses as the criteria states that the response must be sustained. However, Quality is more important in most if not all cases.

is it better in geography to mention a lot of management strategies and just keep mentioning a lot a lot, basically all u kno (cuz there's a lot).. or should i focus on the main ones, and elaborate on them.. like a detailed description, its effectiveness, and so on..
It depends almost entirely on the directive term at the start of the question. If the question was "Outline management strategies..." then the first approach might be more suited. However, words like Analyse would require a more indepth look at two or three major strategies. Make sure u know ur directive terms.

felixcthecat

HSC
umm the directive term.. haha.. i forgot by now.. i think it was discuss... ahh everyone's telling me to memorise it, but do we need to know it like, be able to recite each word and definition? or just know aproximately where u needa head to?

2.5 pages fair effort? yay.. haha but how much did you write for your 40min essays?how much time did u spend planning out each essay? everyone's telling me to plan out my extended response on spare paper so i won't miss out important points..

3 extended response... so does that mean 2 hrs of the exam is devoted to essay writing?

ahh can't wait to get assessment back =D

HSC
felixcthecat said:
umm the directive term.. haha.. i forgot by now.. i think it was discuss... ahh everyone's telling me to memorise it, but do we need to know it like, be able to recite each word and definition? or just know aproximately where u needa head to?
I would seriously consider knowing all of the definitions. But not so that u can recite them, just so u know what they mean and where u have to go. If you are having trouble memorising them all and/or u forget in an exam, then just use ur common sense. There are a few words used particularly for geography such as "analyse" or "evaluate". Make sure u know these two in particular because they are they require deeper thinking and a more sophisticated response which = big marks.

2.5 pages fair effort? yay.. haha but how much did you write for your 40min essays?how much time did u spend planning out each essay? everyone's telling me to plan out my extended response on spare paper so i won't miss out important points..
i usually wrote about 6-8 A4 pages for my geography essays, this was about 2 HSC booklets. If u know ur dotpoints (as mentioned in previous post) then ur essay planning should be very quick because u'll know what is required. I usually only spent about 2 mins planning just using key-words that outlined the idea of each paragraph so i wouldnt forget my train of thought.

3 extended response... so does that mean 2 hrs of the exam is devoted to essay writing?
Pretty much.

bustinjustin

HSC
HSC Geo is one of the only useful subjects when it comes to Uni, especially if you do Social Sciences, Political Economy, Urban Planning and Geography (obviously). Though at the end of the day, it really does depend on what you do at uni, but for Social Sciences, few, if any of the content from English, Maths and even History (bar the skills) come into play. There are definitely more important things than scaling and the like. Anyone solely focussed on how a subject scales at the HSC is shallow and stupid.

Have faith in your decision to do Geography.

Last edited:

FreddyK

HSC
Hey gubgub i reckon Geo's great!! I really do enjoy it its tops!...though sometimes its a bit of a bludge..but I do enjoy the content of it, so yes i think you can class me as a 'fan' of geography. What's really great is that our geo class has a grand total of 5 people in it!! it's basically one on one tutoring if u ignore everyone else!!
anyway i love geo :p

felixcthecat

HSC
FreddyK said:
it's basically one on one tutoring if u ignore everyone else!!
lolz.. heh, mhmm just find it an interesting perspective that i'm sure private tutors would like :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)