• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Standard or Advanced English? (1 Viewer)

NajaKaja

HSC
Okay so I'm in Year 10 and I only have a few days until I hand in my subject choices and I'm still tossing up between standard and advanced english. As of now I am in the intermediate/standard english class but I do believe that I can still do well in advanced if I give myself that extra push. I feel that the only thing I'm struggling in is essay writing and thats fixable(if thats a word) right? Any thoughts/advice?

jadenmaccas

HSC
Do Advanced. It's almost impossible (approx 0.2% chance) to get band 6's in standard english, compared to advanced english. I suggest to take it on and you may learn many new things on the way which will enhance better english skills. You can drop it in Year 12 if you struggle anyway. Best Advice: Just take it

If you believe, you can achieve!

enoilgam

HSC
Do Advanced. It's almost impossible (approx 0.2% chance) to get band 6's in standard english, compared to advanced english. I suggest to take it on and you may learn many new things on the way which will enhance better english skills. You can drop it in Year 12 if you struggle anyway. Best Advice: Just take it

If you believe, you can achieve!
This, there are also other reasons. In most cases, standard is an ATAR killer and should be avoided like plague. As I've said before, a "beware of standard" thread needs to be written and stickied by the mods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)