• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

survey on teachers and swearing .. thankyou! (1 Viewer)

Someguy123

hey i am just wondering if you can fill out my survey on teachers and swearing in class, it shall only take a few mins! thankyou so much ( this is for a society and culture project) changing language and attitudes of teachers in class

* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class?

1) Do/ have teachers sweared in any of your classes?

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion)

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them?

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? ( edit:
I am just going to quickly explain this q, as I don’t know whether people get it. I am not saying is it okay for teacher to call someone a slut, i am saying, do you think or have they used the word, as in like saying this person was cut becaue people think she is a slut .. if you get me ( of course not saying name .. teachers wouldnt do that!))
notes: the slut questions wasnt about a teacher singling out a student and calling them a slut, i doubt that would happen! it was a teacher with out mentioning names just refering to someone like saying person a called person b a slut ( and thats asll , not the teacher saying who a and b are)

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)?

6) Do you classify "slut" and "crap" as swear words.
( edit: i am focusing on the word slut, now and have an addtionl question. do u think is it acceptable for a teacher to say this word in class?) thanks
8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class

Last edited:

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
1) Do/ have teachers sweared in any of your classes? Yes, both in High School and now in college.

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion) High School = accident, College = more on purpose

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them? Shit, Fuck. We're all adults, yes they have the right.

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? No. Other students don't need to hear that.

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)? No.

6) Do you classify "slut" and "crap" as swear words. Not really.

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy
Depends how far they go.

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class.
Teachers are allowed to swear at my college, at school swearing wasn't sposed to exist which is bullshit. It's not like we're going to become immune to it.

HSC
yes

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion)
purpose..casual swearing

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them?
crap, bullshit, shit

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!?
yes

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)?
no

no

yes

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class
teachers are more free when they teach yr 11 and 12 classes...they reckonise that most of us have matured and have gone past having giggles about someone saying 'penis' or 'vagina'
and it also strengthens our relationship with our teachers when both and teacher and students are more free

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
Not in high school (its was a christian school) .. yes in uni- its mostly prac supervisors though, not lecturers

it is just casual

Mostly bloody, shit, fuck etc.. Yes they have the right, we have all heard them before

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!?
No.. its more of a demeaning term.

Yes... those with higher positions have more of a reputation to keep therefore tend to watch their words more carefully.. also I think it depends on age

No.

Depends on the situation.. but these classes are more 'mature' so there should be no problem

Its more of a relaxed situation at uni.. which is when most tutors tend to just 'chat' with classes so swear words are just part of the used vocabulary.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
have we forgotten that teachers are just regular people? Hopefully everyone is mature enough to handle that sort of language by now, not go "omg he he he the teacher just said bum!"

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
yes both privately (outside the classroom) and inside it. HAs mentioned all the examples in which you have given.

depends on the certain situation and the context the conversation came abt. They most do and then apologize or sometimes dont give a crap because its only between them and I. knowing me, i swear like there is not tmr in front of them anyway.

crap, bullshit, fuck, bitch. YEs, they are only human and swearing has been implemented into normal day speech, even though they are professionals at what they do.

no, because they have certain duty of care or code of conduct. therefore this should separates us to their own thoughts. Although they can have such opinion, they should not have mention it.

yups, the different status emphaize the different perception people have for them.

no, its now used in everyday conversation.

there is always a line you shouldnt cross, depending on the context and if it was a joke or said seriously.

since these grades are referred to as being seniors, they are mature enough to engage in conversations like these (even though there are some which are still immature). There is however a degree in which the teacher can go. Swearing provides a breakdown to the 'teacher/student no interaction thing'. Making it easier for teachers and students to have a normal conversations as they are only human.

HSC
N/A

yes but I can't remember the situation exactly

^ I'm having real difficulty trying to remember! I think it was taken as more of a joke by the students....like omg u swore!! (when it wasn't exactly swearing)

teachers are people too!!

I doubt teachers would use the world slut...they're more likely to use a more academically appropriate term :p

I don't think teachers should swear at all....theyre suppose to be setting an example and besides all the old teachers have these values and are against swearing....sif they would start talking like teenagers....can u imagine them saying "crap I had to mark 20 essays last night for u losers and bloody hell I'm fricken tired!"

they're inappropriate words to use in certain contexts and situations.....

its quite disturbing for teachers to make reference to 'sexual things'
but under sppropriate circumstances, yes.

I finished school last yr....

and my principle was a bitch!

lol

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC

Yes

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion).

Both

Shit, Fuck, Bullshit, Crap

I believe its inappropriate in that case as that is degradding someone alot in my opinion .. :( :(

no, in fact as teachers they have a responsibility to be more calm so to speak when teaching, but saying swear words accidentely, or saying crap is alrite with me

slut is definitely a swear word, however crap is now used so frequently that i dont think its really affective in cursing someone

of course, everyone in year11/12 is considered to have reached the age of understanding, so i believe that its perfectely alrite to say such things

as long as it doesnt directly threaten someon students will consider it perfectely alrite to say certain insults. however if the teacher suddenly singles out one particular student or a group of students and calls him/her/them say for example SLUT(s) then that would be considered outrageous, and the teacher would most likely be sent to be tryed by the school board (consisting of the principal, head teacher of that year, member of p&c, police, member of community), and the teacher will be charged by the local police.

pcwizz

Last edited:

Someguy123

note: thanks for or your answers .. keep them coming!

notes: the slut questions wasnt about a teacher singling out a student and calling them a slut, i doubt that would happen! it was a teacher with out mentioning names just refering to someone like saying person a called person b a slut ( and thats asll , not the teacher saying who a and b are)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class?

sometimes, just to relate to the students a bit i think, but not that often, but yes sometimes.

casual part of conversation or in teaching the class in a casual not formal manner. purposely though, they knew they were going to say it, they were probably even a bit hesitant or careful before saying it but did anyway

none really, not commonly. no they don't have the right to use them, unless in casual convo.

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? ( edit:
I am just going to quickly explain this q, as I don’t know whether people get it. I am not saying is it okay for teacher to call someone a slut, i am saying, do you think or have they used the word, as in like saying this person was cut becaue people think she is a slut .. if you get me ( of course not saying name .. teachers wouldnt do that!))
you mean in a convo, the teachers are repeating what someone said using teen slang? well yeah it's ok i suppose, it's different to be repeating what someone else said and to say it themselves. repeating it means they didn't actually say it themselves

of course, principal would never dream about it. then again, deputy would in a normal teaching situation

not 'swear words' as such, but not the nicest words

sometimes they have to, especially in english when they are explaining things. it's offputting the first time but you get used to it. should they be allowed to? well, i guess they can do what they want so it should be up to what they feel is fine with the class.

references to shakespeare, what he really meant when he wrote what he did, references to parts of movies and hidden meanings, things like that. my view point - i don't care, doesn't bother me, it's all in the learning

also, it depends on the teacher, more'sleazy' teachers would get a way with it less than other teachers because they are considered different to begin with, swearing of younger teachers is accpeted more than older, depends on the teachers reputation to begin with anyway

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A

yeah certain teachers...

yup

casual part of convo

"put ur beautiful body down" - personally, its disgusting, coming from a 50yo woman

"i dont want to hear that crap"

"let the more intelligent person talk"

"absolute bullshit"

"crap"

"bullocks"

"shut it"

well they could use other words couldnt they? like strumpet, whore, hoe, wanton and wench depending on their colourfulness

no i think they should have their mouths cleansed out with soap
as swearing only be accidental not to attract attention like so knobheads i know ;-P

technically...no

yes, esp if its part of the course (e.g. in eng ext1 teacher pointed out it was a major component) - we didnt complain =P

swearing is pointless, only to gain attention and act stupid, exert frustration accidentally....and is best not to be aimed at any particular person!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A

um, some do

yeah
both. more and more often they use it as casual convo i am finding

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them? crap shite um yeah

um yeah fair normal actual! if they dont single ppl out, its okay i guess, its abit weird hearing teachers saying slut though, i think

hmm well like the principal shouldd definetely not! so i say the higher up they shouldnt, but sometimes they do coz they are high up and think they are good

yes to slut and no to crap ... i think~~

well they do... i guess they should be allowed .. like we r getting older n stuff

at our skool they do and it is normal

Hell Sent

1) Do/ have teachers sweared in any of your classes? yes

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion) both

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them? meh i don't know and no, no-one minds, we're old enough to handle a few ''bad words' i think

depends on the context, but it could be appropriate

no
6) Do you classify "slut" and "crap" as swear words.not really, they arent the nicest words though
how about when your studying a raunchy scene in english, that would pose a problem wouldnt it! i dont see anything wrong with discusssing sexual things

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by Someguy123
hey i am just wondering if you can fill out my survey on teachers and swearing in class, it shall only take a few mins! thankyou so much ( this is for a society and culture project) changing language and attitudes of teachers in class

1) Yes

2) Both

3) Shit, dickhead etc, though I haven't heard any say fuck.

4) yeah, depends on the context though. Be that as it may it's not rather nice, and they shouldn't really say it, should say it in a rather more politically correct way.

5) Not really, but the higher up a teacher is, probably the less they'll swear.

6) Crap - definetly not. Slut - no, but it's rather an offensive word none the less.

8) Hell yeah, it makes a class more interesting, a teacher more popular and makes the students feel as if they're considered adults.

9) It's only done in a joking manner, and only by some of the better teachers. Nothing really offensive is ever said.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC

yeah sometimes

yea

most of the time on purpose

one teacher i had tells people they have shit for brains - he says it out of fun sorta - if you knew his style then you would know but i dont think generallt they should cos they dont like it when we do it

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class

my english teacher has but its not normal

santaslayer

HSC
1) yes

2) no accident- casual

3) genuis, fuck, shit, crap, bitch, , stupid

4) NO

5) YES

6) NO

7)YES

8) Joking...its not taken seriously.....everyone laughs if he says something really outrageus, but thats where it ends.

chepas

HSC

Yes.

Usually on purpose, as part of a quote from a text or something, or they just paused to allow us to 'brace ourselves' for the oncoming word, in part of a 'casual conversation.'. Though when you're out of a classroom context usually in conversation, depending on how close you are with the teacher, it depends.

Crap, piss (as in piss-up, piss-take etc)... in conversation it depends on what they're talking about. I haven't heard of a 'right' to swear, but I believe that they're in a position of influence, therefore should be wary of how they talk, in a classroom situation, and should try not to. But once again if it's sort of out of the classroom, general conversation, they're just people...

No. Certainly not.

No. This assuming that htey ARE allowed to swear in class?

"slut" - yes, the sound of the word just sounds disgusting! :p "crap" - yes, but its shock value isn't nearly as horrible. It's almost universally tolerable.

Well, not really, I mean, there have got to be other ways of explaining things. But by senior years we've all been exposed to such references. I suppose it depends on how familiar/close/level of acquaintance we have with teachers.

Majority of teachers largely don't swear and disapprove of it whole-heartedly, but there are quite a few that, as we grow sort of more friendly and more acquantainted with and close to them, grow more comfortable with how we (teachers and students) talk to each other, therefore they tend to 'drop their guard' and do swear and, if it's relevent, make 'sexual references'.

Like, some teachers who I'm not really close to, or have a kind of more refined air about them, I'd be really shocked to hear them swear, whereas others it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
- yes

- accident

- nothing they usually begin to say fuck n then just trail off

- no - they could easily employ a euphamism..

- no

- yes, when a teacher says it

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemt language and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy

- its not an allowance issue, a teacher student relationship is undoubtably going to change from yr 7 till yr 12. i think its fine that conversation topics change. i know all my eng ext classes are about sex, as long as its something that doesnt offend anybody

- i think i just did that?
- my ancinet history teacher once spent a whole lesson tlaking bout pussy after we read the word pussilanimous , i stil lodnt know what it means but it was a great lesson

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)