• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Text books and that (1 Viewer)

Comrade nathan

HSC
When do we buy our text books, and other things. I know there is a orientation day on the 16th, do i pay then?

kittycat552

I think it's your own responsibility to buy your own textbooks in your own time. You can get them from the United Campus Bookshop online (www.ucb.net.au - type in your the code for each of your units and it will tell you what texts are required), the second hand bookshop on-campus (not sure about how much variety they have?) and the co-op bookshop in newy.

DV8

HSC
That's correct, it is your responsibility to decide when and where or even IF you do decide to buy textbooks. Most courses will provide you with a list of recommended texts sometime during your first week of lectures, and even though the United Campus Bookshop online (www.ucb.net.au) does provide book lists, I wouldn't recommend buying any texts before your lectures... your lecturer will usually give you a better indication of which books are best and you can make the decision whether you want to buy them or not. The 2nd hand bookshop is a great little stop and has a fairly good variety at the beginning of semester, they also have books that arent stocked at UCB and often these alternatives are better than the recommended texts so make sure you have a little browse.

Btw, what "other things" were you thinking about buying Nathan?

Last edited:

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
i try to buy as few text books as possible, you would be suprised how easily you can get by without them

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
nessie_lee said:
You can do that? i thought you could only borrow them for 2 weeks at a time, unless you re borrow them over and over again... i doubt they would let you do even that though!
I think it's a joke.

DV8

HSC
nessie_lee said:
You can do that? i thought you could only borrow them for 2 weeks at a time, unless you re borrow them over and over again... i doubt they would let you do even that though!
Yes, yes you can. :D I borrowed a book for almost the entire of last semester until someone requested it right before exams. The library usually has 2-3 copies (sometimes more) of most textbooks so if your book gets requested, put a hold on one of the other ones! :p

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
nessie_lee said:
yeah i had a textbook for a semester last year.. just make sure you re-borrow it before it becomes overdue, other wise you cant have it again...

also, check the other campuses.. if you cant find it at callaghan chances are you can get it sent from central coast or the hospital or in town... depending on what it is you need

rific

HSC
I think the librarys have a new borrowing policy this year, i think you can borrow more for longer, not sure tho, just what I heard.

Not all courses are on ucb because the lecturers in charge are too unorganised to tell them what books they have to make available. Don't worry tho, they'll tell you in the first lec/tute/seminar/lab/whatever any books you need to get. Also the course might just have photocopy packets instead of text books, and I don't think they go on ucb.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
silvermoon said:
hi, i checked out www.ucb.net.au (thanx whoever posted that link) but can someone tell me why none of my HUBS courses or CHEM1202 are listed there? im a bit confused by that. thanx
courses are put on there at lecturer discretion (SP??) i think.... and if the course doesnt need a textbook its not posted...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)