• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Themes of Othello (1 Viewer)

inJust

HSC
What themes would you say resonate within the play of Othello? I'm considering doing it for my Critical response but would you guys say ambition plays a key role? As much, or even exceeding Macbeth? Because I'm tossing up between the two, and I don't know if I should do Othello or Macbeth, because I need a text that clearly, and profoundly accentuates the perils of ambition and self interest.

Thanks guys.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I reckon Macbeth plays more with ambition. I mean it's central to the very plot.

Also, when in doubt. Sparknote it!

inJust

HSC
I was gonna explore ambition through Iago but yeah.

jnney

lemon
HSC
there are a lot of powerful quotes for the following themes in othello:

-revenge (iago)
-deception (iago)
-jealousy (othello)
-views on women (desdemona and servant)

check out the notes on othello in the resources section.

inJust

HSC
I doing a classic, and a contemporary text.
I thought that through Othello, I could show how through Iago's relentless pursuit of self-fulfilment, he ultimately disregarded the functioning of society. Although in Macbeth, whilst pursuing his ambitions, he too destroyed society as it is...
So I don't know.
My major is emcompassing that conflict between individual liberty and social obligation.

asdfqwerty

HSC
But then wouldn't it be more of 'hubris' that leads them to their downfall and corruption in society because they ruined the chains of being yaddi yaddi ya?

inJust

HSC
Yeah I know, but I wanna explore ambition/self-interest can lead to downfall of society yaddi yadda.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
If your aiming for ambition sorta thing, I'd go for Macbeth. The downfall in Macbeth also seems to be bigger since he caused tyranny throughout an entire country. IMO.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I deleted a whole lot of funny, but ultimately troll/spam posts. You know who you are (*cough* Riproot/Bored of HSC).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)