• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Theology (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Whats the point of a Theology degree, its not like u need one to be a priest.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
you dont actually need a uai to become a priest.. that is done in a seminary not through a university.
i dont think it really occurred to you that people may actually be interested in learning more about theology and arent just getting the degree for financial gain, but it is likely that it wont be the only thing they ever study (for example they may get a dip ed to be able to teach, or may have previously done a degree and are going back to university to advance their knowledge).
just because you dont find it interesting doesnt mean everyone shares your views :p

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Do its not i dont find it interesting, shit its just that u can learn this shit without going to uni, like u got the internet and books, u dont really need to do a degree for it. Anyways how does one do a teaching dip

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
a certificate in theology is good. heck doing a BA is not so well recognised now so why do it? part of the reason is cos they wanna learn!!!!!!!

a certificate 4 in theology at avondale college or hillsong international college or many of them r a good way for *religious* ppl to learn more about that which they have devoted their life to. and to b a priest u may not have had to do it, but i know that to become a pastor in the ACC churches, (or AOG) that u should hav some theology training. if they r gonna run a church, u want them to know wat they r doing, just like if a doctor is gonna prescribe somethin 4 u u would rather they had the qualifications neccessary

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Korn said:
Do its not i dont find it interesting, shit its just that u can learn this shit without going to uni, like u got the internet and books, u dont really need to do a degree for it. Anyways how does one do a teaching dip
so by the same reasoning, why do we need university degrees for the bachelor of business and finance? I mean, there are resources available in the internet and in libraries you could teach yourself!~

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
inasero said:
so by the same reasoning, why do we need university degrees for the bachelor of business and finance? I mean, there are resources available in the internet and in libraries you could teach yourself!~
Because who is going to hire a business person, that requires a degree, if they aint got one, if u wanna learn something just for saying i learnt this, its unfair on the Australian Taxpayers, unless ur paying full-fees, and who can actually afford to go to uni for essentially fun these days.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
then why do people do postgrad studies like getting a masters in their degree.. its not really necessary if they already have the degree to get into the job then is it :p
im sure that most of the people who spend a long time at uni drowning out australian taxpayers funds end up being the taxpayers in the top band who pay alot more taxes

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
A Masters allows one to progress higher into their chosen field

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Korn said:
A Masters allows one to progress higher into their chosen field
by that reasoning what if someone wanted to progress higher in some kind of theological field.. like if they are a teacher.. or wanting to be a youth minister or pastoral care leader or something like that..

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Well, if they are willing to pay for it, or make money from their degree, fine i have no problem, then.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
cro_angel said:
by that reasoning what if someone wanted to progress higher in some kind of theological field.. like if they are a teacher.. or wanting to be a youth minister or pastoral care leader or something like that..
Thats all good and well if they are going to use their degree and get payed for it, but if they are going to sit there on their high horse and glote about having a theological degree while recieving a doll cheque, well thats abit rich...hey thats what an arts degree is for..der!

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
beccaxx said:
a certificate in theology is good. heck doing a BA is not so well recognised now so why do it? part of the reason is cos they wanna learn!!!!!!!

a certificate 4 in theology at avondale college or hillsong international college or many of them r a good way for *religious* ppl to learn more about that which they have devoted their life to. and to b a priest u may not have had to do it, but i know that to become a pastor in the ACC churches, (or AOG) that u should hav some theology training. if they r gonna run a church, u want them to know wat they r doing, just like if a doctor is gonna prescribe somethin 4 u u would rather they had the qualifications neccessary
yay someone mentioned avondale college! :) except i don't think they have cert IV theology... they do have a four-year BA (theo), 2-year graduate diploma (theo) and various theology Masters programs though.

yes there are quite some non-typical theology students at avondale, i can't fully picture some of them in the ministerial role myself but hey, variety is good!

People who do theology degrees study psychology, sociology and history as well as the usual in-depth Biblical studies and the learning of Biblical languages. A theology degree is generally intended for people who want to become church pastors. (duties include admin, pastoral counselling, youth and family ministry, chaplaincy at schools etc. as well as preaching. Theology students at avondale basically have a guaranteed job at the end of it, like avondale nursing students they are highly sought-after (people who just want to learn more about the faith can do so in BA major/minor/electives in Religion or Biblical Studies without needing to do the theology degree)

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Remember going to uni is not always about getting a job. Many people go there to get an education in something they are interested in.
Exactly. The idea behind university is for higher learning, not what you will use that education for. You can have several PhD's across many fields, but it doesn't mean you'll choose the high paying research job over the high school teaching position.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
cro_angel said:
you dont actually need a uai to become a priest.. that is done in a seminary not through a university.
i dont think it really occurred to you that people may actually be interested in learning more about theology and arent just getting the degree for financial gain, but it is likely that it wont be the only thing they ever study (for example they may get a dip ed to be able to teach, or may have previously done a degree and are going back to university to advance their knowledge).
just because you dont find it interesting doesnt mean everyone shares your views :p
actually, priests (as in Catholic) tend to hold 2 or 3 degrees that are done in conjuction with seminarian training. They do need a UAI or equivalent to get in to these institutions. (given that a lot of Aussie catholic priests for eg goto ACU or do their training O/S eg Notre Dame)
Even with Protestant ministers, they still do Uni degrees (or certificates) in conjunction with their religious training (eg Moore College @ UNSW)

and not everyone who has done theology wants to be a priest...
*looks at his M.RE hanging on the wall which had a 1/3 theology weighting*
lol

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
snapperhead said:
actually, priests (as in Catholic) tend to hold 2 or 3 degrees that are done in conjuction with seminarian training. They do need a UAI or equivalent to get in to these institutions. (given that a lot of Aussie catholic priests for eg goto ACU or do their training O/S eg Notre Dame)
Even with Protestant ministers, they still do Uni degrees (or certificates) in conjunction with their religious training (eg Moore College @ UNSW)

and not everyone who has done theology wants to be a priest...
*looks at his M.RE hanging on the wall which had a 1/3 theology weighting*
lol
Actually cro=angel is correct in this, as priests dont need to have a theology degree (yes Catholics)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Actually cro=angel is correct in this, as priests dont need to have a theology degree (yes Catholics)
I didnt mention theology neither did she...
but just to clarify most do a combined divinity/theology degree and combine it with a social services (eg welfare) or education degree. (we had three priests in my undergrad course and one in my postgrad)

They have to study theology as its the backbone of what they stand for!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)