• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Tips for Conics? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Conics is by far the topic I've had the most trouble with in 4 unit (should've probably expected it since I had similar trouble with the 3 unit parametric stuff).

Does anyone have any general tips for the ellipse and hyperbola problems that would help?

braintic

HSC
N/A
Conics is by far the topic I've had the most trouble with in 4 unit (should've probably expected it since I had similar trouble with the 3 unit parametric stuff).

Does anyone have any general tips for the ellipse and hyperbola problems that would help?
These questions typically depend on messy algebra. So if your algebraic skills are not up to scratch then you'll have problems. Other than that its just a matter of persistence (ie. keep moving forward, even if it looks like you are getting nowhere), learning some time-saving tricks as you go. You should have been taking note of these tricks as you encountered solutions.

v1

HSC
always derive equations never memorise + know some properties well so you can take shortcuts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)