• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

To people in the industry: (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I'm currently studying at uni but was considering whether it would be worthwhile getting an IT qualification of some kind, whether this would help me get some cushier part-ime jobs to support myself through uni or make me abit more employable once I leave uni. Any thoughts?

I was thinking of the CIV in Client Support: http://www.cit.act.edu.au/study/cho...y_systems_support_certificate_iii_iv_diploma/

Also do you think the qualification is lessened if I complete it via 'flexible learning', that is over the internet at my own pace?

busterblues

04 Info Tech First in HSC
HSC
Hey,

I run my own IT business here in Tamworth and I can tell you the money that you would make doing Client Support would be more than enough to give you an extra bit of money at university.

TAFE Qualifications are seen differently by different employers. Some support them, but often unfortunately, some dont. If you are looking at doing anything with Help Desk or anything of that nature, look at www.seek.com.au and just do a search for some jobs.

Their requirements all have one thing in common usually, industry certifications, not necessarilly qualifications, and high end systems administration experience always puts you further up the ladder than others.

I think a lot of help desks wont look at you unless you have a CompTIA+ certification which I cant tell you a lot about cause I have not done it myself. And then there is the Microsoft equivalent of CompTIA+, the Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) which is basically Windows XP and its Microsoft applications inside and out and back in again. It is a very complex course.

I dont think that the qualification is 'lessened' if it is done through distance ed. Just as long as it is a reputable training organisation I dont think it really matters. If you can do some sort of distance ed thing through TAFE that would be the best option to go with there becuase they basically set the standards for the industry training framework? (do they? im not sure) With any computer course, you are always putting yourself at a disadvantage by not physically being there. I dont know exactly what that course covers but if you are committed enough and already know a lot about the computers you should be able to do it distance ed fine. If you arent confident, I would suggest doing it in person.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)