• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ugh!! Graphs (1 Viewer)

Cheezy-G

Can anyone Plz give me a few tips on curve Sketching. It's not one of my favourite topics. I can do basic things but I needs some tips of Y axis asymptotes and when the curve approaches infinite and how do u know when the curve has a little kink, if u know what I mean. Is it ok to put in points in equations
graphs are evil

Thanks

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
graphs are actually fairly easy m8...all u hav 2 do is work out what you can, wen u say "Y axis asymptotes and when the curve approaches infinite" .... all u have to do here is actually put into your calculator that x = 9999999999, the common results here is someting really small therfore which will equal 0, or it will be 1, meaning one, or it will be something also huge which would mean it is an oblique ass. at y=x, for undefined values its just when the denominator will equal 0 (then year 8 algebra) and for 'kinks' as you say, just find the first and second derivatives and look at their nature, ....

as i said, all you really have to do is work through each question step by step, with practice, here is an easy 8-10 marks in your hsc...

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
lolll lets say u have y=(x^2+6x-4)/x
there fore y=x+6-(4/x) [i took each unit sepertaly]
now the lim y = lim x (x->=/-inf) x + 6 - (4/x)
u no as x approcess infinity 4/x approches 0... therefore as x--> infin y approches x+6...
dawson thery does not work cos in this case u have an oblique assemtop but it isn horizontal or vertical, n same with curves 1z... like an assamtop where it is e^x...
if u want 2 find an assymtop that is parrall to the y-axis, then u find the corrdinatce x cannot equal... in the example above, x cannot equal zero, because as we are 4u students we should no somthing on 0 in undefined...

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
dawso said:
graphs are actually fairly easy m8...all u hav 2 do is work out what you can, wen u say "Y axis asymptotes and when the curve approaches infinite" .... all u have to do here is actually put into your calculator that x = 9999999999, the common results here is someting really small therfore which will equal 0, or it will be 1, meaning one, or it will be something also huge which would mean it is an oblique ass. at y=x, for undefined values its just when the denominator will equal 0 (then year 8 algebra) and for 'kinks' as you say, just find the first and second derivatives and look at their nature, ....

as i said, all you really have to do is work through each question step by step, with practice, here is an easy 8-10 marks in your hsc...

damn
your way takes too long...
use 4u powers to draw quickly!!! add/subtract/multiply/divide vectors.

but worse case senario: try in some numbers
(usually -5 to 5) and 2 big and small values like 100 and -100
and plot your graph, use derivatives to find all the other crap (2u stuff that you should know)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)