• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UMAT score (1 Viewer)

sickone

HSC
Wats considered a good umat score? And does any1 know wat score u need to get into UWS med, considering u meet the academic standard?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
The cut-off was 170 for an interview last year, this year is probably going to be atleast 173 from what i've heard from current UWS students and one of the former interviewers.

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
medstudentsonline.com, should be able to get more info there. as to the first qs - 185+ raw *will* get interviews across the board.

fattii

HSC
wats the umat out of?

and do you choose uni preferences before you get interviewed?

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
Monash don't use percentiles any more... and you know you would have gotten interviews at every other uni...

VCE_2007

HSC
liverpool3k said:
Monash don't use percentiles any more... and you know you would have gotten interviews at every other uni...
argghh! wat do you mean they dont use percentiles?

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
They don't use percentile sum as the method of selecting interviewees @ monash any longer... it is now the sum of your umat scores, like the rest of the aus unis.

jemdude

HSC
LottoX said:
Good-o, now I can obtain an interview there. =P

Why did they use percentiles in the first place? =(
As far as i can gather, since umat is an aptitude test they look at not just your overall score but rather if you did well in each section. Its not like other tests.

So for example say you got 90+ raw in S1 and S3 but quite low in S2 30ish then you probably aren't suited to become a doctor (in the uni's eyes) even though the overall raw mark would still be very high (for the sake of an example 210+) . The percentile score would not be so good (230 or so). Hence why some uni's used to look at percentages because it can be a good indicator of overall performance and hence if you suit medicine.

Keep in mind that a good raw score is something around 185+ and a good percentile is say 250+

However each uni has different ways of using the umat scores and percentiles. It is not as simple as having a raw mark. They look at overall performance. Feel free to comment and i dont pretend to be an expert, this is just how i see it. Food for thought i hope.

Last edited:

liverpool3k

Banned
HSC
LOL. Ask LottoX, who is a (almost finished) first year meddie his UMAT scores. LOL :rofl:

**otherwise, I think you've done a fairly good job of explaining their rationale.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the raws are scaled raws tho..

otherwise u cant compare 2006 to 2007 to 2005 fairly..?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)