• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

University Biology & Chemistry (1 Viewer)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I'm interested in doing Biology or Chemistry in University and thinking of following this timetable:

BIOL 1001- Concepts in Biology Semester 1
BIOL 1003- Human biology Semester 2

Or/and

CHEM 1001-Fundamentals of Chemistry 1A - Semester 1
CHEM 1002-Fundamentals of Chemistry 1B -Semester 2

But heres the catch, i didn't do a HSC course on Chem or Bio :/
Both Have assume Knowledge but no Prerequisites. BIOL 1001 Recommends taking a bridging course, CHEM 1001 Strongly Recommends taking a bridging course.

I did Physics and Extension Maths, but no HSC Bio or Chem:/ I know close 2 nothing for CHEM.
Do you think i should try out these courses and if so, are the bridging courses really necessary? I'm not sure if they start from the very beginning or speak gibberish from Day One. I hear Computer Science students spend a lesson learning how to turn on a computer and open a file ;/ Do The BIO and CHEM courses treat students with eqivalent stupidness (Me hope so)???

Thanks 2 those who can give a clear answer :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
BIOL1001 is by and large a repeat of the HSC course. I studied biology at the hsc level, so I was in no need of the bridging course, although given BIOL1001's content there seems to be little need for a bridging course for those who are willing to attend the lectures and complete the recommended readings.

I didn't take chemistry, so I cannot help you there. Sorry.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah i got d's in bio 1001 and i didnt do HSC bio, so you'll be fine. Chem is a little harder, but if u do the bridging course youll be repeating a lot of the stuff u learned in the lectures anyway. If u wanna have some idea of what u are doing in labs and stuff, then do the bridging course, but u can just pick it up on the way, i mean, its fundamental chemistry, they assume u are stupid (sorry, but its true)
If u were gonna choose to do one, i'd do the chem, dont worry about the bio, its not a problem at all.

I'm sure you'll be fine in both. I'm doing the advanced courses of each because I did both in the HSC, but I'll bet there'll be lots of people in your classes who haven't done them. As well as that, I'm sure you can befriend plenty of people who can help you out!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i was talking to someone about bridging courses *somewhere* around here, cant be bothered looking for a link, basically they just recommended to borrow a HSC book of whatever subject it is you havent done and read through it

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i think with chem though, its the confidence in labs and stuff that is the main issue, like no knowing what the equipment is and how to use it etc, and the bridging course gives u that

i thought it said that fundamentals were for people who did badly in hsc, or didnt do anythin at all. so i guess u dont need it

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i did fundamentals this year (due to stupid timetabling arrangments) and i got band 6 chem in the HSC - i found it difficult, and just managed to scrape distinctions when realistically i should have been blitzing it. Chems a hard subject and i would do the bridging course if i was u, better to be prepared early than realising u are screwed later.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Mambomeg
i did fundamentals this year (due to stupid timetabling arrangments) and i got band 6 chem in the HSC - i found it difficult, and just managed to scrape distinctions when realistically i should have been blitzing it. Chems a hard subject and i would do the bridging course if i was u, better to be prepared early than realising u are screwed later.
yeah, the best thing to do is a bridging course- or to just read ova an hsc textbook! :D

psych_girl

HSC
hay, here we go

I am so happy that I did both Bio and Chem in my high school. So i dont have to do the bridgecourse to waste 1 month time doing those stupid stuff. haaaaaa! Is there anyone doing Genetics? If i cant enrol to Moleular Biology and Genetics at very first stage, I do 1st year at UNSW ( beacuse if i am doing science major in Genetics at Usyd, I must be enrolled in Biology major, but i hate doing plants stuffs), then i can transfer to Sydney at second year if i pass 75% in my GPA. Do you think this is a smart and a pathway to get into those course?.... ...

Saul

*ss
HSC
... .im doing geneticsssss its a party.

psych_girl

HSC
Saul said:
... .im doing geneticsssss its a party.
??
what do you mean it is a party? I am thinking to do B Science at UNSW in the very first year to do major in genetics, then transfer to Usyd to do following years of Moleular bio and Genetics. hoooo^-^ Is this decision smart????? I hope so. Cuz i dont want to do Biology major at Usyd. I hate studying anything relate to plants.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ha, good LUCK with the CHEM1101 if you didn't undertake the HSC Chemistry course. In my opinion, CHEM1101 would become alot harder if you didn't do HSC Chem. When they say it's assumed knowledge, they ain't kidding. The Chem work at uni is gone through at ferocious speed, and unless you study very hard, you will find the various gaps in your basic chemistry knowledge starting to burden your chances of going well. Also, Fundamental Chem (for people without HSC Chem under their belts) and CHEM1101 do the SAME lab work, and I worked with a chick last semester who didn't do HSC Chem and she was pretty fucked for the whole thing. For a good reason too, how the hell was she to grasp the concepts and processes involved in say, a titration when she was never introduced to it at all since she didn't do HSC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)