• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What context are we meant to be studying Speeches in? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I'm getting confused as to the broader context in which I'm meant to be studying Speeches. All I'm doing (with my class) is reading through them and learning about how they were received and basically the background surrounding each speech. But what exactly is the focus of the study in general?

Punkcess

Trapped In Your Guitar
HSC
Context

If ur just starting this topic, dont be alarmed it IS as crap as what it seems. Well i dont know if your skool is the same as ours but all the same,we got told that when you tlk bout context, ur tlk bout the influences on society of the time that it was composed and the way that we view it now and why, and what influences, social, cultural, political etc ideals of their time and ours have and how they have influenced the composer and responders, of both when it was written and now....if that makes n e sense.
If u want n e help just post a msg.
:)
Hope this helps

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Punkcess said:
If ur just starting this topic, dont be alarmed it IS as crap as what it seems. Well i dont know if your skool is the same as ours but all the same,we got told that when you tlk bout context, ur tlk bout the influences on society of the time that it was composed and the way that we view it now and why, and what influences, social, cultural, political etc ideals of their time and ours have and how they have influenced the composer and responders, of both when it was written and now....if that makes n e sense.
If u want n e help just post a msg.
:)
Hope this helps
Ok..
So in the HSC exam, we'd basically be discussing:
a) What influenced the speech
b) How people responded & how people respond now?

I'm just confused as to what exactly the focus of the elective is...coz right now at school, I'm just learning about the above two things really, and not much else.

Punkcess

Trapped In Your Guitar
HSC
Speeches suck

Yeh thats right, wen they ask bout context in the exam thats what ud have to tlk bout. I THINK the focus of the study is the use of rhetoric & to explore the way that ideas are articulated in the perscribed texts and explore the distinctive qualities of each of the speeches and the ways that different audiences shape meaning, Reflect on the values implied in different responses and in rhetoric itself.

And i'm just starting yr 12 as well, and our teacher's completely useless so im just getting it out of stimulus booklets and piecing together what the head of english told us about it when she was away...

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hhhmmm....ok.
So it's basically looking at the techniques of rhetoric they use to convey their message - alliteration, simile etc???

Punkcess

Trapped In Your Guitar
HSC
Indeed

Yeh i think soooo... or @ least i hope so bcos thats wat im doing and thats wat we've been told. Stupid Galston High School. lol

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
well i fink de main focus of de module 'critical study of texts n contexts' is on de art of rhetoric- basically de tehniques orators have used dat make their speehces timless such as 'Cicero or King.

with context....if u study de political, social n ecocnomic contexts of ALL de speeches den it will b pointless.....really dats wot i was told last yr but as i realised later on dat in 'context' all u gota do is understand why a speech was made (its background), make sure u know how dis speech was received at the time it was given (whether positive or otherwise for instance Cicero's opponent Catiline must have been against the speech yet Cicero eventually succeded in banishing him!)

ultimately de mian focus is de context of today (YOUR context as u read de speech) in other words how do YOU find dis speech? how do u receive it? how do other ppl of today have critically received this speech? dis is de point of dis module....for instance i find dat Cicero speaks as if he is a modern barrister n prosecuting Catiline! n den u can delve into the techniques....etc etc etc

hope tht helps! :)

fakingtheday

HSC
I don't know about you guys, but when i see internet shorthand i stop reading so here's my two cents. It's about values. How it was valued then and now.

Take the question every text has its used by date for example. This is where context/values comes into it. For instance Martin Luther King Jr. Spoke on issues of the day that are still relevant to us today, so there for it has no used by date.

On the flip side you could look at Valclav Havel's address to the country on New Year's Eve 1990 (i think). He speaks of issus exclusive to that country at that time. So while we can take some of it on board, it's pretty for the audience present and the people of the country.

So in short context and value. What they meant then, what they mean now.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
fakingtheday said:
I don't know about you guys, but when i see internet shorthand i stop reading so here's my two cents. It's about values. How it was valued then and now.

Take the question every text has its used by date for example. This is where context/values comes into it. For instance Martin Luther King Jr. Spoke on issues of the day that are still relevant to us today, so there for it has no used by date.

On the flip side you could look at Valclav Havel's address to the country on New Year's Eve 1990 (i think). He speaks of issus exclusive to that country at that time. So while we can take some of it on board, it's pretty for the audience present and the people of the country.

So in short context and value. What they meant then, what they mean now.
And so along with context and value, we'd have to discuss the rhetorical techniques that were used by the orators for them to be valued in the first place???

bluey1987

HSC
HeLp - i need info!

Hey can someone let me know where i can find info on the context of Mary McAleese's speech.
Thanx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)