• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What subjects to keep and what to drop for HSC? (1 Viewer)

Grace_13

HSC
Sooo... My Current subjects, averages (of assessments and midcourse exams) and midcourse exam ranks

Advanced English - 70% - 14/54
Ext 1 English - 75% - 2/9
General Maths (only just dropped down to general, mathematics average was 26%)
Biology - 80% - 4/20
Chemistry - 68% - 11/15
Ancient History - 94% - 3/36
Visual Arts - 77% - 5/18

I'm not really sure what i want to do when i leave school. Some ideas include Biologist, Photo-journalist and thats about it, I enjoy Art/photography, creative writing and biology.

I think i will drop chemistry but people keep saying i shouldn't because Art scales really badly and Chemistry scales well. I really hate chemistry and struggle with it, ailed the midcourse and only passed assessment because it was a HW assignment ad the teacher is an easy marker.

I know visual Arts will be allot of work, but i am much more interested in that than my other subjects and i have a really good teacher (and my chem teacher is terrible!).

Also i will be picking up ext 2 english so i will have 12 units once i choose what to drop.

Advice anyone?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you thought of dropping maths completely?
But I dunno it's probably out of chem and maths for you. You'll probably do much better in general but the scaling is terrible.
Also school rank?

enoilgam

HSC
I think i will drop chemistry but people keep saying i shouldn't because Art scales really badly and Chemistry scales well. I really hate chemistry and struggle with it, ailed the midcourse and only passed assessment because it was a HW assignment ad the teacher is an easy marker.

I know visual Arts will be allot of work, but i am much more interested in that than my other subjects and i have a really good teacher (and my chem teacher is terrible!)
In that case I would drop chemistry - the fact that you dislike the subject and are struggling in it will probably outweight its scaling benefits. Also, as lovehateschool has mentioned, you might consider dropping maths as well.

Grace_13

HSC
i was kind of hoping to keep at least general maths, as i've done 5.3 maths in yr 9 and 10 i have covered quite alot of the prelim course and even though i've only been doing general for a couple of weeks i have been going really well with it, i feel confident i could get a mark above 90. also i don't think anyone (parents, teachers etc) would be keen on me dropping maths altogether.

Do you think that art will scale that badly? i've tried some of the ATAR calculators out there and marks are scaled down in art unless you get more than 90?? are they very accurate? our teachers keep telling us not to trust them, but i'm not sure?

enoilgam

HSC
Do you think that art will scale that badly? i've tried some of the ATAR calculators out there and marks are scaled down in art unless you get more than 90?? are they very accurate? our teachers keep telling us not to trust them, but i'm not sure?
They are pretty accurate - like they can be trusted to give a good indication of what final marks = what ATAR. The question you have to ask yourself is how well do you think you can do in chemistry vs VA. If you think you can get 90 in VA and 80 in chem, then you are better off in VA.

madharris

HSC
N/A
If you hate chemistry and you struggle with it, i suggest drop chemistry as chemistry takes most of my time. If you're putting the effort in and you're not getting the results then you should drop it

Grace_13

HSC
because i've gotten so far behind i havent put that much effort in to chemistry, but i still think it would be less stressful to choose Art, i'll just try and make sure i get 90+ in Art!! thanks everyone!

HSC
I'd drop chem if I hated it that much, although it is ranked really well and if you didn't do so well in general maths that would be the better subject to keep. So either maths or chemistry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)