• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

which uni???????????????????????????????? (1 Viewer)

viper1009

hey pplz
Could i please get ur opinion on this...which uni is the best (in sydney) for medical science and B science.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Don't want to sound like Melbournian here, but that would probably be the University of Sydney, at least for the latter. In regards to the former, I know people who do MedSci at Macquarie and at USYD, and the program is comparable at both.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
ummmm well im wanting to do either of the two you have stated but mostly want medical science. i think that UNSW and USYD are quite different but from what ive heard it depends on who you are. from what ive heard USYD is a bit more theory based than UNSW. i dont mind theory considering im hoping to do med as a graduate at USYD. i think theory is a good base for studying med grad. it does have practical stuff but a bit less i guess. i think survivor39 does med sci but at UNSW so he could probably help. i think there has already been a thread for this exact question though.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
note: i think if you do med sci at mac you have to transfer to syd at sometime

Generator

HSC
N/A
As with everything, it would depend upon your probable degree programme... There is little point in taking the 'better' BSc at USyd if UNSW offers what you want to study.

Edit: I did see the medical science preference, but this is just a general comment.

viper1009

actually medical science and B science are my 2nd and 3rd choice. I wanted to do pharmacy but i doubt I'll get enough UAI. So I want to transfer if i can---however, I might not get enough marks in UNI either. So I dont want to end up in wrong UNI

saves.the.day

HSC
I had to make a similar decision last year as my UAI was enough for me to get into either USYD or UNSW for med sci. Last year, the cutoffs for each were, from memory USYD ~94 and UNSW ~92. I chose UNSW for the really huge amount of flexibility in the subjects that you can choose and I loved the study structure compared to USYD. I chose it after reading the study structure for each and decided which one appealed to me more. If you'd like to do the same, here are links to either to help make your informed decision:

http://www.science.usyd.edu.au/future/ug/bmedical.html
http://www.student.unsw.edu.au/handbook/programs/3991.shtml

Now I don't think I am qualified in any way to answer your question of "which is the best" as I have only studied at UNSW and have never been to USYD except in open days so I will have to just have to end by saying that they're both great unis and good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Once again, I would like to point out that there's no such thing as a "best uni for Science", as Science is a very big thing with lots of different fields, each of which is stronger or weaker at the various universities. First decide which field you want, then look at the programs and see which faculty best fits your needs. Medical Science specifically is a pretty standard degree, with extremely similar course content across the big three schools (Macquarie doesn't count because they don't have any resources, their third year students are sent to USyd). For MedSc I'd suggest looking at which university offers things beside course content that are particularly attractive to you, such as student facilities, ease of transport, flexibility of the course and even social things like whether your friends are likely to go there. I know that in six hours at USyd I see more people from my cohort than I would in a week at UTS, and I couldn't stand that for three to five years.

Good luck in deciding. :)

santaslayer

HSC
ie...Nanotech @ UTS

Biological sciences in UNSW

Physics @ USYD...

Different majors are done better @ different unis.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hehe...oh the stories of USyd Physics... I see the whole Camperdown campus from my Physics labs' 13th floor window, so small. Pretty funky though.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
depends what you want to do when you finish. If you want to do pharmacy at usyd, then you may as well start at usyd, make it easier to change courses without having to get used to a whole new uni etc.

Also depends where u live, if you dont get into pharmacy then you dont want to spend extra time traveling to Usyd if you are closer to unsw or wherever.

saves.the.day

HSC
Lexicographer said:
Hehe...oh the stories of USyd Physics... I see the whole Camperdown campus from my Physics labs' 13th floor window, so small. Pretty funky though.
stories?? what stories?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
is it hard to get a distinction average in med sci and is the course usually the same sort of difficulty at thedifferent unis?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hehe, just stuff about being too poor to afford haircuts, and going through dumpsters for discarded laptops. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)