• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why is my VCE so undervalued in England..? (1 Viewer)

Magnifica

HSC
Okay so I've been in contact with universities around England for quite a while now, I am from England and have lived in Australia for the past 5 years. Although I am a British Citizen, I would be an international Student at British University.

However I could be from any country as long as I'd lived there for the past 3 years and be local.

Talk about looking after your own...

Anyway, my VCE score of 89.05 in the eyes of Universities equates to a score of BBC (ish) in A level terms. Now I just can't figure this out. I am generally around the top 11 - 12% of students in VIC when i completed my studies, and seeing as generally around 5-7% of students are getting AAA nowadays in England I don't see why I am considered so low in their eyes. Now in their eyes an AAA = about a 98.6 in VCE score. So the top 1.4%ish of students in VCE equal around the top 5-7% in England.

Why is this the case?????

I feel like I would not be able to get into the education that I deserve over there because of this.. and it's really stressing me out. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is the case?

pman

Banned
HSC
Because this allows them to accept students who did their secondary education in england! they know exactly what the english educated kids know

Magnifica

HSC
Thanks for the responses, and it's so I can get the quickest reply and more opinions Sikh.

More opinions welcome. Am starting to think I should have stayed in england and studied there.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
With all due respect, it's not like a score of 89 raises many eyebrows in Melbourne. So whatever it converts to in England is probably not very impressive either.

On another note, Australia is such a miniscule country that I'm sure England doesn't care whether it's VCE or ECV.

Anyway I don't know what you think you deserve. But jolly I just remembered all those news articles about the "now" generation or "me me me" generation.

X

xeuyrawp

I feel like I would not be able to get into the education that I deserve over there because of this.. and it's really stressing me out. Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is the case?
Firstly, you don't 'deserve' it. Education is a privilege not a right.

Secondly, why is it stressing you out? If you wanted to go to uni in the UK, why didn't you do the IB or the A-levels?

That being said, your VCE score isn't very impressive, so it's not like you're going to get into a top-tier uni there anyway. Unless you have a specific reason, I don't see why you'd be aiming for a UK degree and not one from here.

X

xeuyrawp

have to be honest and say 89 isn't flash here, nor is 95uai there scores that arnet really difficult to get. Its no wonder they dont value your scores. Just do well here in a top tier and do postgrad there.
100% agree.

A UAI/ATAR/whatever of 89 will get you in a much better course here than a BBC in the UK.

There will always be an inequality between international application requirements and local requirements. Oxford, for example requires a UAI of 98.5 or above to be considered, which is, imo far, far less than their advice of AAA in A-Levels.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
An 89th percentile in a shit state like Victoria is pretty bad.
An 89th percentile in any state or country is pretty bad.

Agreed 95 is the cut off. 90-95 is sort of acceptable, but probably not really.

SoAmazing

HSC
woah, such harsh words floating around in this thread (i hardly think 89 is a poor score). well in anycase, i do agree with the advice some of the other people have given you; that is, just do an undergrad degree here and then apply for postgrad in the UK.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)