• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Working at competitors? (1 Viewer)

Tragesty

HSC
I posted this in the Coles and Woolworths thread but since this is more a general topic too, I thought maybe posting a topic might help.

Straight up; as a casual employee (who honestly doesn't remember signing any contracts), is it illegal, and can I face dismissal if I work at two competitors jobs? In this case, working at both Coles and Woolworths.

I've heard people say they can dismiss me if I signed a contract, dismiss me even if I didn't, and others saying they can't dismiss me for working at a competitor.

Thank you for the help.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Find out if you signed such a contract. Ask people. They can't fire you for asking about your conditions of employment.

ay0_x

HSC
Hey.

I just got a job @ woolies and in the Code of Conduct it says you have to inform them if you do anything tha may cause a 'conflict of interest'.

Including working for competitors.

onholidays

HSC
don't worry so much about it...you got the job! Yay! Be happy...and don't worry about them finding out...very unlikely as they probably don't care enough and unless they're like in the same centre or something noone will see you and "dob" you in..don't worry they have more important things to worry about...coles - how to recover from their current slump and woolies - how to keep on top of coles...

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
I used to work at Coles/Big W. Apparently that combination is fine, but I only worked at Coles once a week, so they were not as fussed.

But things got ugly when I spent a few weeks helping set up a new Woolworths store, so I quit crappy coles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)