• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Youth Allowance Nightmare (1 Viewer)

jrbezzina

HSC
N/A
1st thing is GREAT SITE, ok, now my eldest sons best friend moved out of his parents home into his girlfriends home with her mum because of issues at home, he has been trying to get youth allowance for months now but I am told that his Mother has to sign his centrelink form & she will not sign, he attended centrelink again & apparently there is nothing that can be done until his mum signs the form...is there anyway around this..

He is 17, cannot get parents to sign & not living at home, I know this as I pick them up to go to school in the mornings..does anyone know of any suggestions, as he needs to have some money & be able to contribute to where he is living now...Thanks to all that reads & contributes Ideas...

Rhonda (mum of 7)

Raix

HSC
Even to be considered independent I think the parent(s) will still have to sign something. It's getting harder and harder to get payments from centrelink as there are so many that need it. I had my payments cancelled and reclaims rejected even though neither of my parents work or are able to work.
Maybe someone else will know something. Sorry for not being able to help much.

carrallrohan

HSC
Dont worry about going independant, its far too much hassle involved only to be declined.
I went through this drama too only in the end to find out that I could just apply for living away from home and I am pretty sure that it got granted straight away I didnt need to fill out anymore paperwork after the whole independence thing.
So go into centrelink and ask to apply for living away from home not independence as they are two different things but the same pay rate.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If the issues are serious enough at home, he could apply to centrelink for independance on the grounds that it is unreasonable to live at home. this would normally required certification from a psychologist/social worker though.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
If the issues are serious enough at home, he could apply to centrelink for independance on the grounds that it is unreasonable to live at home. this would normally required certification from a psychologist/social worker though.
That's the way i went when i moved out.

Have your friend declare that its unreasonable to live at home and proof of this. I had a relative come with me to prove my reasons.

If that fails, have your friends girlfriends parents declare guardianship. This should get him away from home rate and able to pay board.

The board is not taxable so the parents shouldn't be worried about it, and in some cases the parents might receive benefits due to the teenagers welfare.

And greekgun, wtf?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)