• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

1995 Cssa 4u Q8 (1 Viewer)

adzy

HSC
Found this in my brother's stack of old trial papers. I found this test a higher standard than anything else I've ever done (consistent high standard throughout)

Just a note, the examiners are Graham Arnold and Denise Arnold. Heh.

Q8
n letters L1, L2, L3, ..., Ln are to be placed at random into n addressed envelopes E1, E2, E3,...,En, each bearing a different address, where Ei bears the correct address for letter Li, i= 1,2,3,...n

Let Un be the number of arrangements where no letter is placed in the correct envelope, for n a positive integer, n>= 2

i) Show U2 = 1 and U3= 2
ii) Deduce that U_k+1 = k(U_k + U_(k-1)), k=4,5,6...
iii) Use results from i) and ii) to calculate U_4 and U_5
iv) Show by mathematical induction that

U_n = n![ 1/2! - 1/3! + 1/4! - ...+(-1)^n * 1/n! ], n=2,3,4...

v) If there are 5 letters and envelopes:
a) Explain why probability no letter is placed in the correct envelope is U_5/120 and calculate this probability as a fraction
b) Show probability that exactly one letter is placed in the correct envelope is 5U_4 / 120 and calculate this probaiblity as a fraction
c) Find the probability exactly 2 letters are placed in the correct envelopes

vi) Deduce that summation k = 2 to n of [N choose K] * U_k = n!-1

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
adzy said:
i) Show U2 = 1 and U3= 2
iii) Use results from i) and ii) to calculate U_4 and U_5
iv) Show by mathematical induction that

U_n = n![ 1/2! - 1/3! + 1/4! - ...+(-1)^n * 1/n! ], n=2,3,4...
i) This is pretty simple. If you have two letters and two envelopes there is only one way to get them messed up.

If you have three letters and three envelopes lined up (for the sake of visualization) then 2 letters can go in the first envelope, 1 in the next and 1 in the next.

ii) Let me think on this.

iii) You can do this pretty easily since you already have U2 and U3 given to you.

iv)

U<sub>n</sub> = n![ 1/2! - 1/3! + 1/4! - ...+(-1)^n * 1/n! ]

n(U<sub>n</sub> +U<sub>n-1</sub>) = U<sub>n+1</sub> so,

U<sub>n+1</sub>
= n![ n/2! - n/3! + n/4! - ...+(-1)<sup>n</sup> * n/n! ] + n![ 1/2! - 1/3! + 1/4! - ...+(-1)<sup>n-1</sup> * 1/(n-1)!]

= n![ (n+1)/2! - (n+1)/3! + ... + (-1)<sup>n-1</sup>*(n+1)/(n-1)! + (-1)<sup>n</sup> * n/n!)

{note: n/n! = (n+1)/n! - 1/n! = (n+1)/n! - (n+1)/(n+1)! }

= (n+1)![ 1/2! - 1/3! + 1/4! - ...+(-1)<sup>n+1</sup>*1/(n+1)! ]

U<sub>n</sub> ==> U<sub>n+1</sub> yada yada...

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
adzy said:
v) If there are 5 letters and envelopes:
a) Explain why probability no letter is placed in the correct envelope is U_5/120 and calculate this probability as a fraction
b) Show probability that exactly one letter is placed in the correct envelope is 5U_4 / 120 and calculate this probaiblity as a fraction
c) Find the probability exactly 2 letters are placed in the correct envelopes
a) The total number of ways to arrange 5 distinct letters into 5 distinct envelopes is 5! = 120

# ways to put all letters in incorrect envelopes = U<sub>5</sub>

P(all incorrect) = (ways to arrange them incorrect)/(total # ways to arrange them)

&there4; P(all incorrect) = U<sub>5</sub>/120

b) Consider the group of 5 letters. There are 5 ways in which we can pick a single letter from this group. This letter is then put in the correct envelope. The # ways that the remaining four letters can be placed in the incorrect evelopes = U<sub>4</sub>.

&there4; P(1 correct) = 5U<sub>4</sub>/120 = 1/4 (or something like that)

c) Using a similar method to above: there are <sup>5</sup>C<sub>2</sub> (i.e. 10) ways to seperate the 5 letters into a group of two and a group of three. The two letters are then placed in their correct envelopes. The # of ways that the remaining three letters can be placed in the incorrect envelopes = U<sub>3</sub>/

&there4; P(2 correct) = 10U<sub>3</sub>/120 = 1/6

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
vi) Deduce that &sum; (k = 2 to n) <sup>n</sup>C<sub>k</sub> U<sub>k</sub> = n! - 1

What this is doing is summing up all the individual cases:

When k=2, <sup>n</sup>C<sub>2</sub> U<sub>2</sub> = the number of ways in which the letters can be arranged where two letters are out of place.

When k=3, <sup>n</sup>C<sub>3</sub> U<sub>3</sub> = the number of ways in which the letters can be arranged where three letters are out of place.

When k=n, <sup>n</sup>C<sub>n</sub> U<sub>n</sub> = the number of ways in which the letters can be arranged where all 'n' letters are out of place.

Logically it is impossible for only one letter to be out of place which is why they skip the k=1 case. However, it is possible for all the letters to be in the right place (there is only one way this can happen) and this is not included in the sum .

Knowing that the total number of arrangements = n! and that the above sum acounts for all arrangements except for the case where all letters are in the right place (hence 1 must be subtracted from n!) then it is safe to say that:

&sum; (k = 2 to n) <sup>n</sup>C<sub>k</sub> U<sub>k</sub> = n! - 1

adzy

HSC
Thanks dude. Haha, if I see that q8 I think i just panic and not even try it.

Any headway on this?

adzy

HSC
Thanks dude.

Still any headway on this?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
adzy said:
Thanks dude.

Still any headway on this?
I've come to that answer a couple times using shaky-common sense but not much of it had strong mathematical grounding. This is the best I could come up with but it's still a little shonky:

Consider the case with (k+1) letters and (k+1) envelopes... there are 'k' letters which can go into E<sub>1</sub>. Let the one which goes into E<sub>1</sub> be L<sub>q</sub> [q = 2,3...(k+1)]. From here we can subdivide into two cases.

Case 1 - L<sub>1</sub> is put into E<sub>q</sub>. This leaves (k-1) letters each of which have a corresponding envelopes (i.e. for every L<sub>i</sub> there is an E<sub>i</sub>). There are U<sub>k-1</sub> ways to arrange these remaining (k-1) letters into the (k-1) envelopes.

Case 2 - L<sub>1</sub> is *not* put into E<sub>q</sub>. Once more we have (k-1) letters/envelopes other than (L<sub>1</sub> / E<sub>q</sub>). For all intents and purposes we can treat E<sub>q</sub> as if it were E<sub>1</sub> in this situation since we cannot place L<sub>1</sub> in it. Hence we can treat this like the arrangment of 'k' envelopes (for L<sub>i</sub> we have E<sub>i</sub>). This yields U<sub>k</sub> arrangments in this situation.

Combining case 1 and case 2 we get (kU<sub>k-1</sub> + kU<sub>k</sub>) since each case begins with k possible selections.

= k(U<sub>k</sub> + U<sub>k-1</sub>)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Anyhow, that one bugged me for a bit. I'd like to see someone come up with a more elegant solution for it. Btw, I think when I calculated the values of a couple of the U<sub>4</sub>/U<sub>5</sub> terms I may have been unco and stuffed them up (after saying that part was easy :p).

SeDaTeD

HSC
U_n = n![ 1/2! - 1/3! + 1/4! - ...+(-1)^n * 1/n! ] tends to n!/e as n gets large. You can see this as the term in the bracket are the first n terms of a power series expansion of e^-1 (missing the 1/0! - 1/1! terms, but these are zero), if you have come across this before. Just something you may be interested in.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
U_n = n![ 1/2! - 1/3! + 1/4! - ...+(-1)^n * 1/n! ] tends to n!/e as n gets large. You can see this as the term in the bracket are the first n terms of a power series expansion of e^-1 (missing the 1/0! - 1/1! terms, but these are zero), if you have come across this before. Just something you may be interested in.
Hmm, that's pretty cool. I've seen the e<sup>x</sup> power series before (I have a pretty rough understanding of how it comes from the taylor series) but I didn't notice it here. Thanks for pointing it out.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
That series in question is actually e-x, which is basically the same thing as ex except you replace x by -x in the taylor/maclaurin series

edit: now that i think of it, it doesnt really make a difference in the example above

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)